Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-14-2010, 11:11 PM   #1

Share |

Re-doing a shower surround

Greetings all:

I am a bit perplexed as to how to properly deal with the edge of this shower. As you can see from the photo (http://www.flickr.com/photos/47944138@N07/4522574676/), the lip along the edge of the surround basically extends as far as the wall does before going horizontal (just above and behind the shower head). The provious owner had simply applied some drywall compound, then taped the corner and painted over that joint. The humidity of the shower makes a mess of it in no time. Does anyone have an idea as to how to appropriately deal with this edge and make it last?

Thanks so much.

belizeanbus
belizeanbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:16 AM   #2

2 threads on same issue merged
Old 04-16-2010, 11:17 AM   #3
General Contractor

I can't quite understand what you have written in your post, but I think I am looking at a shelf or ledge behind the shower head. If that's the problem, you might want to tile it or replace/cover it with a piece of vinyl board.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Portland, OR
Rory Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:38 PM   #4

To clarify, my question is more about how to properly cover the lip or flange that surrounds the shower (for nailing to the studs). Ordinarily, you would have a flat wall there, and simply drywall right over the flange, I would assume. In this case, where the flange ends, an inch or so above the surround, there's a 90 degree angle for that shelf.

Previous owners had simply put drywall tape around that corner and covered it with mud. But that doesn't stand up to the moisture.

I was thinking of cutting a narrow strip of water proof drywall and gluing or nailing it to that flange, then taping the corner where it meets that shelf and finishing it off with mud and then paint. Does this sound right? Is there any other special water proofing material that might be employed here?

Thanks!
Old 04-16-2010, 09:21 PM   #5
DIY staff

The simplest nice looking fix---'cap' the top of the wall with a piece of 1x6 white vinyl exterior trim board.(Azek)

Tuck a bit of trim made of the same material between the top of the surround and the bottom of your new white cap--Caulk(white polyseamseal) Done

---Mike--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:58 PM   #6

Get rid of the edge. Continue the wall up to the ceiling so there's no horizontal corner.
jogr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 01:25 AM   #7
Pro

Honestly, what you're asking for I cannot in good conscience advise.

The above poster's idea is worthy of a nod, but I know what he's thinking and it's the same thing I'm thinking...you need to redo that shower and do it properly. If you absolutely have to keep the shower as is either go vertical with cement board and tile, or tile at least all the way up to the ceiling ( don't know what the backer is...guessing regular drywall or lathe and plaster?).

Having a sill like that is ok, but involves having proper backer, membrane, maybe even pvc liner, proper slope, tile, etc. to ensure no water penetration/stagnation.
Nostco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 04:28 PM   #8

Is that a T&G wood ceiling above the shower?

Be safe, Gary
Clean the ducting in the last six months? 17,000 dryer fires annually!
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 05:26 PM   #9

If you intend to keep it like it is I'd use cement board & then seal & tile it all, walls included.
Seal - redguard, ditra or ??
For the shelf I'd search for 1 solid piece of material to use
Angled to drain to the front
Also make sure you have a good fan to get rid of the humidity & use it

Problem is if it has been falling apart for any length of time there may be rot & mold etc behind the walls now
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 11:57 AM   #10
Tileguy

Yeah, that's kind of a bogus installation. The opening was closed-in to accommodate the size of the store-bought shower kit.

You should understand there is no such thing as "waterproof drywall".

You may be able to clean up a little then paint those areas with an epoxy paint being sure to caulk the junctures fully.

Mike has a fair idea but I'm thinking that along those lines the use of a piece of aluminum fascia cap/cover would be better. They come prefinished. That with some caulk, would waterproof that area for good. Just be sure the area is totally dry if you cover it with the suggested cap technique.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote