Premixed Tile Adhesive Removal - Need Help - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-30-2012, 02:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Premixed Tile Adhesive Removal - Need Help

I bought a house that the previous owner put down ceramic tile over 9x9 1950's tile in the kitchen. As you can predict the grout started cracking a few months after I moved in. I decided to investigate after an edge tile lifted. It appears that this guy installed the tile by back buttering the ceramic tile with a with a v-notch trowel adding a few dabs of premixed bucket adhesive. He just set it directly on the 9x9 flooring. I am assuming the the 9x9 tile contains asbestos (other 9x9s in the house tested positive). I would like to lift this ceramic tile and replace it with a laminate floating floor leaving the 9x9s intact and undisturbed. I am fearful that once I start lifting this ceramic tile the adhesive will be left behind on the 9x9 tiles. At that point I don't want to do any scraping for obvious reasons. I would like to dissolve or soften the adhesive if any is left behind. I have so many questions about this. Anyone that can help with a solution would be great. Any products out there that won't affect the 9x9s? Would asbestos release once the bond is broken between the adhesive and the 9x9s? Additionally kitchen cabinets were installed over this. I am guessing I am going to have to lightly score the ceramic tile and snap it off to avoid pulling out all the kitchen cabinets. Once I discovered this I was furious. I can't believe anyone thought this was a good idea. Please help. Thanks.

Advertisement

Last edited by bassheadjohn; 08-30-2012 at 02:51 PM.
bassheadjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:39 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 542

There is going to be some scraping involved.
Skipping steps and trying to just get by got you where you are now when the old owner decided it was a good idea.
It's pretty common to install cabinets over the tile, that way it's easyer to get the dish washer in place if there is one.
I'd use a Toe Kick saw with a diamond blade to cut the tile.
I use a Bosch Bulldog hammer drill to remove the tile.
Once out use a floor scraper to get the old glue off.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:11 PM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,182

Why not pop off the ceramic and 9x9s at the same time? Yes they contain asbestos, but with proper technique you can do it safely.

Attempting to remove the ceramic and adhesive may cause more dust than pulling out the whole mess.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:20 AM   #4
Coconut Pete's paella!

Rewards Points: 500

This idea may be a little radical, but I took out the existing floor in my kitchen as well as the asbestos-suspected floor underneath in 4x8 sections ... because I broke up the subfloor and just took everything with it. Not sure if that is an option for you.
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:58 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

Pete,
That is an interesting approach. I am not really sure how the subfloor is constructed. Everywhere else in the house there is planking running at 45 degrees over the floor joists. On top of that is hardwood. I am not sure what is under the 9x9s. It seems like it would be plywood due to the finished height compared to the other flooring that leads into the kitchen. I was trying to avoid pulling out cabinets if I can. If there was plywood under the 9x9s I imagine it would run up to the wall framing. I have plaster walls. The plaster is probably overlapping the edge of the plywood. So to pull that out it is going to take a considerable amount of demo. Additionally I have no idea where the seams of the floor are. I am sure the 9x9s overlap. In that case the 9x9s are getting snapped which I am trying to avoid.
I figured popping up the ceramic might be an easy solution and just recover with a laminate. This house is sort of a live in flip. Eventually its hitting the market once I do some more work to raise value. I am not looking for easy and cutting corners I am just trying to minimize damage.

I am going to send out a sample of the 9x9 to be tested. The only time this house will put a smile on my face is if this comes back negative for ACM.
bassheadjohn is offline   Reply With Quote