Pre-fab Fiberglass Shower Possibilities... - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-11-2011, 07:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Pre-fab fiberglass shower possibilities...

Ok, guys, I'm gonna lay it out straight....I'm a typical girl who knows nothing about construction/remodeling...even though we own a company specializing in it (but not bathrooms!). I'm just desperate to change some things in my bathroom, and want to know if it's even a possibility, and the basics of the project, before I raise the topic with my husband. He'll know and try to dissuade me, so I need the facts to counter-argue, should the need arise! Sneaky, sneaky!

Ok, when we built our house 7 years ago, I let my husband have his way, because I was expecting our 1st child, and frankly, had other things to worry about....like making sure the baby had a finished house to come home to! Because of this, some things were done that I have now come to HATE, and I think enough time has passed to start some remodeling.

My question is about our shower, and shower/bathtubs. We had pre-fab, Ivory, fiberglass (?) fixtures put in. I have come to dispise these things, and scrubbing them clean. I think they are ugly, too. The combo units are ok, because they are behind shower curtains. My master bath unit, though, needs to change. It's the fiberglass, with glass 'walls' and door. Just a shower. I want to know...can these fiberglass areas be tiled? Like, we have a beautiful whirlpool tub in the bathroom (I DID insist on that!) that's surrounded on three sides with tumbled marble/travertine (?)......can we cover the fiberglass with this? If so, how do you keep it from obviously 'jutting' out from the actual wall above it! Do we have to initially cover the fiberglass wall with some other material, then tile over it? Does anyone have any suggestion for the glass walls/door? Ugh, I HATE those. I really like stone walled showers...can we do this somehow by replacing the glass or is there some facade type material we can just put over it? Doesn't have to be stone, I'm open to ideas....anything other than that bumpy 'privacy film' type stuff you can cover glass with. Am I just being ridiculous and it would be easier/less expensive to pull the unit and start from scratch? My husband is very 'handy' so the actual re-model would probably be something he can manage, unless it means re-doing plumbing or something.....but I would prefer an easier 'over-lay' of some sort. (Higher chance of acceptance from the old man, LOL). any and all suggestions are welcomed! I apologize for sounding so typically 'girlie', but home interior/decor is my 'thing' not....everything else, LOL. thank you!!

Advertisement

RealHouswifOfOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:24 PM   #2
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

First things first. NEVER EVER APOLOGIZE for being a girlie. You can apologize for being a N00B, you can apologize for asking silly questions, but there is NO NEED to apologize for having two X chromosomes. Us girls got to stick together, but we don't apologize for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealHouswifOfOK View Post
Am I just being ridiculous and it would be easier/less expensive to pull the unit and start from scratch?
Probably, to achieve what you want you need to tear things out and start over. Time to start planning your dream shower - make a list of the things you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealHouswifOfOK View Post
but I would prefer an easier 'over-lay' of some sort.
Any sort of overlay will just be more fiberglass.

Good luck - girlie.

Advertisement

Old 04-13-2011, 02:10 PM   #3

Thanks doll! Yes, I brought it up with DH and he said that we should just tear it out and start from scratch. We just need to figure out how much space we can add. Oh, girl, I am a 'shower' girl, all the way, I've been dreaming of my dream shower for years!! I don't think that Moet surround shower (the one with it's own control panel, temp control, stereo system, light show.... 800,000 jets from all sides, and ceiling,,,,,aaaggghhhh) is quite in the budget yet. YET.....it will be, next house, someway, somehow!! Plus, the spa-style, tiled curve 'seat/lounge' built in......can't forget that!!! Oh well, a girl can dream, can't she?!
Old 04-13-2011, 02:14 PM   #4
Learning by Doing

I live in a 200 year old farmhouse and my biggest bathroom is 6x10 - so I have MAJOR shower envy. My shower fantasy is a steam-shower. I've been looking at pre-fab units and dreaming.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:50 PM   #5

Oh, girl....I am such a 'bathroom' person......I have to have space to do (and keep) my make-up, a large shower....but not so much tub. When we built, I begged for a lovely whirlpool, 2 person tub, but so far pretty much have just used it to bath baby (she's graduated to the shower) and dogs. The separate hose attachment thing was a great addition! Not getting a water heater dedicated to the huge tub....not such a great idea. I like almost scalding hot showers/baths....so that doesn't cut it. Next house may have a nice tub in another bathroom, but master will just have an incredible huge shower with all the bells and whistles. I think I was in shower/bathroom heaven this last January.....we stayed at a resort in Cabo, and our room was like, all open, so the thing 'seperating' the bathroom area from the 'bedroom' was a big two person tub, which had big pillars on each corner, and they had these curtains, kind of like a 4-poster bed, but a tub. Well, you could see over the tub, into the whole room, and behind the tub was the vanity/sinks along the side wall and shower/privacy bathroom along the back wall. So, the shower was tile with a smooth river rock floor, and it was HUGE, large enough for 2-3 ppl, but only one shower head, and a tile bench along the back, you could adjust the shower spray to hit you while sitting on the bench. The best part? *Angels sing* you could leave the glass shower door open, and shower while having a straight view of the ocean! So, if you left the shower doors and the balcony doors open......OMG. never better. My husband enjoyed the free show every day, too ;-), so I think I could *probably* convince him to do something similar. LOL. Now....where can I find an ocean view to be shipped into OK?! I knew someone that had a 'courtyard' with plants and such, built right into their bathroom, which was a bit odd.....and someone else I knew had a tub, in the MIDDLE of this GINOURMOUS bathroom, in/level to the floor. That was much too....too Cinemax or Poconos or something. But, secretly, I have always wanted to go to one of those cheesy Poconos resorts.....the ones with the heart-shaped beds, and the big, tall 'champagne glass' hot-tubs! I just don't want to catch an STD. LOL. I get skeeved out by tubs that are not mine, I only sat in the one at the Cabo resort for about 5 minutes. Told DH that next time, we'd take bleach or borax to run through the whirlpool jets, then I would be ok. :-)
Old 04-13-2011, 08:27 PM   #6
Learning by Doing

mmmmm. nearly outdoor shower in Cabo. Sounds wonderful. This is my 10x6 bathroom.

You should have seen it before I re-did it.

My shower fantasies also include an outdoor shower. Maybe with my husband gets his dream garage I'll insist on a really large luxurious bathroom with an attached outdoor shower. And a lock - with only ONE key.

Good luck with your planning. And keep posting questions, the forum is UNBELIEVABLY AWESOME.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:10 PM   #7

Oh, it's lovely! I love the beadboard (that is what the white is, right?) you know, the other day, on 'martha', I saw that she has a line of textured wall paper that looks just like wooden beadboard! Amazing! I hope you get the shower of your dreams. I will continue on here, I'm a frustrated interior designer, LOL, always adding to, taking away. I'm remodeling DD's room from a toddler-ish look, to a more ’big girl' look...so, while I debate throw pillow colors with my BF for hours, I probably could use a tie-breaker, 3rd opinion sometimes. Plus, the office/dog's room is becoming her playroom and eventually, after that, I want to change the color scheme/bedding in the master bedroom and bath from nrow/gold/moss to brown/robin's egg. I love that combo, even if it has been used to death. Waverly has a gorgeous toile pattern in that color, I think it even has a smidge of a kind-of gold? The fabric is a cotton, canvasy/duck-cloth....very chic and I adore it!

Advertisement