Potential Water Issue In New Shower? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-11-2011, 10:11 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Potential Water Issue in New Shower?

I have a potential concern about water drainage in my newly installed shower. When the builder built the tub, the ledge wasn't completely level, in fact it was sloping in toward the tub. Never a big issue because there used to be a vanity there. With my new project, I took that out and extended the shower to the tub. Because I knew the tub ledge sloped, I didn't enclose it in the shower. Now I got to thinking......perhaps water could potentially penetrate the travertine bullnose and grout and flow out. I'm not so worried if a little water gets in there because I've completed redgarded the CBU underneath, but if it flows down the slight slope, I may have an issue down the road.

I'm thinking (and hoping) that water would primarily flow down the bull nose (which only sticks out about 1/4 inch and down the wall- not under the glass and out to the tub. The shower glass is siliconed along the edge, essentially covering that tiny bullnose ledge. I've also sealed the travertine and grout multiple times.

Water does not directly hit that area in the shower- mainly condensation that runs down the glass and a slight splashing from showering. Any preventative measures I could take to prevent water from penetrating and running back toward the tub aside from actually tearing it apart?

Any opinions or am I over thinking it? I'm guessing that there simply wouldn't be enough water to actually penetrate through the sealer, grout, and thinset since no direct water is really hitting it and water does not pool there.
Attached Thumbnails
Potential Water Issue in New Shower?-ledge1.jpg   Potential Water Issue in New Shower?-ledge2.jpg  

Advertisement

cobrakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:20 AM   #2

I'm thinking of using some flashing on that edge, similar to what was used on the door to prevent water from hitting the tile and flowing back. Any opinions on something like this or overkill?
Attached Thumbnails
Potential Water Issue in New Shower?-photo-4-.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by cobrakai; 02-11-2011 at 10:44 AM. Reason: forgot picture
Old 02-12-2011, 03:09 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,576

You are way overthinking this. If the glass trim is silicone sealed that's all you will need.

You should know however that grout sealer doesn't waterproof anything. Sealing with that type of sealer is not waterproofing.

Nice looking shower by the way.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:33 PM   #4

Thanks for the response Bud. I figured I was over thinking it....it is siliconed all along the frame. I've spent every minute of my free time remodeling this over the past 8 months and I'm happy to say i'm finally done. Thanks for the compliment.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:36 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,576

Yep it looks great from here, I would chill and wait to see what developes, if anything. Being pro-active is fine but in this case I doubt it is necessary.