Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-18-2012, 10:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Angry

Poor Quality Granite Installation - HELP!

I'm in the process of having a house built by a local home developer. Everything with the process has been wonderful until the granite was installed in my kitchen. I picked the granite from a small sample size in the builder's design center. The granite that was installed has prominent orange rust rings in various spots of the counters. In some areas, the grain of the granite has these rusty spots and circles that truly look like something has been spilled on the counters. I am very dissatisfied with the look of the counters and have asked the builder to replace. I feel the counters were used with a slab of granite that lent itself to poor aesthetic. The builder is telling me that this is quite common in granite and that they cannot guarantee that the next piece of granite won't be the same or worse. Prior to building with them, I visited many of their model homes in my community and never saw any granite as bad as this granite. In fact, they were all pristine. I feel like the granite is unacceptable. I don't think these marks are something that anyone with a design eye would use in a home.

Can someone please look at my pictures and advise if you feel the same?

I am also enclosing a pic of the sample granite that is paired with my kitchen cabinets when I chose the granite to be installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Poor Quality Granite Installation - HELP!-img_2387.jpg   Poor Quality Granite Installation - HELP!-img_2388.jpg  
Attached Images

NCRod16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:52 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 544

I'd recommend (your builder should have) that you look at the slab that will be used prior to it being cut and polished.

That way there can be no surprises.

You'll be happy, the granite shop will be happy, and the builder will be happy.

ktkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ktkelly For This Useful Post:
drtbk4ever (10-19-2012), GBrackins (10-18-2012)
Old 10-18-2012, 11:31 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,022

Ktkelly, sound advise, leaves no surprises or unhappy customer!

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:39 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 668

Well, that is ugly, but appears to be a natural part of the stone. Best bet is to approve the material before cutting/installing. If that is even an option with your builder or the supplier. If not, get a credit and buy it yourself.
mikegp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:13 AM   #5
bbo

Rewards Points: 500

yeah when you use a natural product, those kinds of variations can be quite common. While some us embrace the natural variations, to others it bothers their OCD when things are not lined up.

Myself, I like things asymettrical (sp?) and out of order. I couldn't be happier with our travertine and wood floors.

That does look like coffee stains to me. I would have picked a different slab myself.
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:14 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

When we had our granite installed we went through several slabs that had that exact staining. The color was Ouro Brasil/New Venetian which is basically the same thing as you have. Its natural rust spots within the granite. But not very appealing to the eyes! I would tell them to replace it or let you pic the slab yourself!
maranello055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:14 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,002

NC,
I do a lot of kitchen remodels, most of the tops are granite. I always send the customer to the granite fabricators yard and let them pick out their own slabs. In some cases where the granite has a lot of movement (i.e. wild grain patterns), the fabricator will have the customer return and approve the placement of the templates on the slabs before any cutting is done.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:04 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,510

that is TERRIBLE !!! i would DEMAND a replacement. and as was said, YOU go pick out the slab. i bet the builder got a BIG discount on that slab. and if he let that go, what else did he let go ?

Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bad granite, bad granite installation