Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-25-2012, 10:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Poor Installation of granite counterops in kitchen - new construction

We recently had ~90 sq. ft. of granite installed in the kitchen of our new home and are not happy with the installation. There are several issues/concerns. (see below) My question is if we should allow them to dry sand the edge profile onsite or have them remove the countertops and start over.

Issues/Concerns
1.) Location of seams. There are several concerns in this area. We have a raised bar than is longer than the granite slab. Since the bar ends in a wall on one end, I expected the seam to be placed near the wall but it was placed in the middle (lengthwise) of the bar. In the location of the seam, the granite is not the same thickness so there is an obvious step in the bottom side of the granite. The top is relatively smooth. Also, there will be a cooktop stove set on the granite and instead of making a cutout and rodding the granite, they just placed a 2 inch wide piece of granite in the front and back side of the cooktop. This results in a seam in all four corners of the cooktop. These four seams are all not level or smooth.
2.) The cutout for the sink does not match the sink profile. There are several locations where the sink is recessed from the polished granite edge and only a couple places where the sink and polished granite edge match properly. (basically the sink cutout is undersized)
3.) Finally, we were not given the edge profile that we requested and was clearly listed on the work order. After installation, we were told that they didn't offer the edge that was listed on the work order. We asked for a half bullnose edge and were given a 4-5cm double radiused edge. I was never called to explain that they couldn't give us what we asked for and given my other options.

To this point, I've been offered 10% off the total cost which I have declined. They have mentioned dry sanding the proper edge onsite but stated that it would be a custom edge for them. Given their workmanship to this point, I don't think I should allow them to display any additional craftmenship. I have asked them to take the granite back out and do the job properly.

And this wasn't a discount granite installer. We made the selection based upon research and referrals. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by wrocky32; 06-25-2012 at 10:52 AM.
wrocky32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:21 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,086

Post some pictures.
There's nothing anyone here can do about it except give some opions.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:23 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Where are you located?
CopperClad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:05 PM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Write a letter to the owner or president of the company.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:09 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

I will add some photos of the job over the weekend. I'm located in Iowa. I have been in discussions with the owner of the company regarding the options available at this point. They have offered to come in and machine the proper edge on site but I'm concerned with dust getting into our brand new geothermal HVAC system as well as cleaning up fine dust everywhere in the house. My wife is also concerned with the walls and cabinets getting damaged as they try to change the edge profile close to the walls/cabinets. I have offered to pay for the material cost (no labor) but we haven't reached an agreement yet.
wrocky32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:33 PM   #6
Craftster

Rewards Points: 77

Grinding the edge (and getting dust everywhere) is not going to fix the poor sink cutout or the many-seams cooktop area; if it were my kitchen I would request a do-over, there's just no way to fix on-site all the problems this installation seems to have.
ghostlyvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:10 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,248

take a LOT of pictures ! and i hope you paid with a credit card(if so, call them and explain). and/or. if you didn't pay yet, tell the owner/boss that you are not going to pay. and will have someone else redo the counter. if you have already paid without a credit card, you may already be screwed = they are stringing you along waiting for you to just give up.

Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote