Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-12-2013, 07:33 AM   #1

Share |

Pocket Door Replacement

I have a 28" opening and a 30" pocket door I'd like to replace. It's old and worn and would like to freshen it up. Is it normal to have a door wider than the opening? From what I've gathered it should be the same side as the opening.

Thanks

elCheapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:42 AM   #2

Pocket Door Replacement

Got a picture?
If the door was the same size as the opening there would be gaps where you can see into the room.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:48 AM   #3

Pocket Door Replacement

I was just told that removing the door would require cutting it up because it was at least 2 inches wider than the opening, and I believe the metal pocket door frame would interfere with removal. I guess is it normal for the door to be that much wider than the opening?
Old 04-12-2013, 11:05 PM   #4

Pocket Door Replacement

You'll have to remove some trim close to where the door edge is when it is open, and also maybe the jamb. This should give you enough to remove the door. Remember that the door had to be hung at some point, so it must be possible to remove it without cutting it into pieces.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cleveman For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (04-13-2013)
Old 04-13-2013, 10:13 AM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Pocket Door Replacement

If there is any chance the door track is also worn and a potential cause of problems even with a new door, you should just demolish one side of the wall and get it out of your way while you are at this? You may opt to do this to replace the door too. It will not cost you that much in either time or material. It gives you a chance to get anything hiding in the pocket that might be dinging up the door out too? I have, through the years found magazines, toy cars and dolls, bathtub toys, etc. hiding.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:12 PM   #6

Pocket Door Replacement

The new door is in (well, it was for a week or so. Took it out today to try to resolve). Thank you all. I was able to do it without taking out the wall. But... A part of the door is rubbing against a cross-member of the pocket door frame. See pics. Too narrow to sand or saw. Any suggestions? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Pocket Door Replacement-dsc_0362.jpg   Pocket Door Replacement-dsc_0361.jpg  
Old 07-05-2013, 08:02 AM   #7

Pocket Door Replacement

That cross member is part of the frame? Strange. Every interior door in our house is a pocket door; I installed them all during construction. None of the frames have a piece like that. And how could you have installed the frame without opening up the wall? Or am I misunderstanding, and you simply replaced an existing door with a new one? If that's the case, why not just buy a thinner door?
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:13 PM   #8

Pocket Door Replacement

It was an existing pocket door and I swapped it out for a new one. The wife wanted a 6 panel. I could buy a thinner door, I think this one's 2 & 3/8, if that is pretty standard. It IS the new door, It wasn't a ton but I'd prefer not to through sixty something dollars out. I'd really like to know if there's a tool or a way just to sand down or saw out that piece. Not sure what, if any other options are.