Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-09-2013, 04:54 PM   #1

Share |

Plywood under countertop?

I am currently building an island for our kitchen and would like to have it ready to install a countertop. The island will be 6.5 by 4 feet, and will have 2 stools (one at end and the other at corner along the long side). There will essentially be an "L" shaped opening, with about a 2 ft overhang next to wine fridge (see pic). Please note that I am not done framing the island (ie. there will be more support), but the overhang next to fridge will be the same. Also, I will have much beefier pillar supports. We are not sure what we are going to go with for the counter, but it will likely be granite or quartz. My question is, will I have to install plywood under the counter? I am guessing yes with the overhangs..but if so, what size plywood? 3/4?
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Plywood under countertop?-island.jpg  

markley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:35 PM   #2

Plywood under countertop?

When I had my countertops done (the Samsung solid surface stuff) the people who were supplying the countertop also supplied the plywood base needed.

So basically I just had a series of base cabinets sitting there, then they measured w/ a camera and some paper "targets"... a week or so later they showed up with plywood and countertops all ready to go...

So I'd check w/ whoever is providing the countertop first...