Plumb Studs For Tub Surround - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-22-2011, 08:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Plumb studs for tub surround

So I have read that sistering a stud is a good way to get your walls true, specifically for tile where you want a flat-as-possible surface.

But how do you deal with the crown of the lumber? I mean, no lumber will ever be perfectly straight. Thoughts / experience / wisdom? :-)

Advertisement

jdt141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:43 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,272

Always get the straightest studs for a tiled wall--Pool cue straight.

No crown if you can do it---I often have to buy 10 footers to find straight studs--the longer studs are usually cut from larger trees and are stronger and straighter.

If you must use crowned studs belly out--I guess--on second thought--you will hate tiling any thing but a flat wall.---Mike---

Advertisement

Old 02-01-2011, 12:12 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Best way is to find straight studs but if your dealing with hockey sticks then the best ways I have found are cut about 2/3 the way thru the stud at the center of the crown with a sawzall and push the stud back in the wall then brace it to keep firm. Then the other way I do it (depending on how many) I snap a chalk line on the 2x4 and cut it with a skill saw.
proremodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:49 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

If the studs are plumb and crowned towards the bath a cheap electric planer does the trick.