Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-29-2011, 01:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Smile

Planning to remodel my bathrooms and have couple of questions

I'm planning on remodeling my guest and master bathrooms. We still haven't decided if we will do it ourselves or hire a contractor. My husband is a quick learner but has never done a big project like this one so is a little iffy. We are still in the design and research phase so might be a couple of months till we act on it. I have a couple of questions.

1. Can I install a seat inside my bathtub ? I've seen bathroom designs where there are seats to sit in standing bath stalls but never inside a bath tub. Is this even possible ?

2. I see a lot of vanities online - contemporary and reasonable but worried about ordering something so expensive and heavy and bulky online without first looking at it. Any stores in SE MI that you would recommend for vanities. I checked Home Depot, Lowes and Great Indoors but very disappointed with their collections.

uvasag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:38 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

1) There are a ton of options for bathtub seats. They are required for handicapped accessibility in many cases. Try looking up "ADA bathrub seats" and search away. There will be alot of hospital types, but in the mix you'll likely find one you like.

2) I'm not from anywhere near there. Maybe check the yellow pages for "Millworkers" or Millwork Retailer. That is the "Plumber" type name of people who build cabinets.

uvasag (07-29-2011)
Old 08-25-2011, 02:20 PM   #3

More questions.

So this is what we are planning on doing. We have a main bathroom which needs new floor, new tub to shower conversion, move laundary in that bathroom, have a new exhaust put in. Our master bathroom needs even more work. We are planning on taking down a wall and take the dressing area and include that as part of the master bath. This would mean new plumbing lines, replace tub with soaking tub, new shower stall, new exhaust. The quotes I'm getting so far are in the range of $30,000 for both the bathrooms. I've been contacting remodel companies for this job. Does 30K sound reasonable ? Any way I can bring the cost down ? I don't want to install cheap fixtures and cheap tiles to bring the cost down. Just trying to figure out if there are other ways to bring the cost down. Thanks for reading.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:59 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by uvasag View Post
More questions.

So this is what we are planning on doing. We have a main bathroom which needs new floor, new tub to shower conversion, move laundary in that bathroom, have a new exhaust put in. Our master bathroom needs even more work. We are planning on taking down a wall and take the dressing area and include that as part of the master bath. This would mean new plumbing lines, replace tub with soaking tub, new shower stall, new exhaust. The quotes I'm getting so far are in the range of $30,000 for both the bathrooms. I've been contacting remodel companies for this job. Does 30K sound reasonable ? Any way I can bring the cost down ? I don't want to install cheap fixtures and cheap tiles to bring the cost down. Just trying to figure out if there are other ways to bring the cost down. Thanks for reading.
Quality work and quality materials cost. The price point is not that bad for 2 baths, and moving the laundry. If the project(s) weren't so involved or you had more experience doing this, I'd say, do it yourself.
But that's not the case. So I don't see a saving issue you could get without sacrificing something.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:41 PM   #5

Thank you.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:29 PM   #6
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,910

All kitchen cabinet makers have a matching line of vanities----Look in the kitchen cabinet section---
uvasag (08-26-2011)
Old 08-25-2011, 11:30 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

Got Costco nearby? They have many vanities you can order online and delivered to your door. If not want you like, return to store.

The Following User Says Thank You to vsheetz For This Useful Post:
uvasag (08-26-2011)