DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Peel and Stick Veneer and Contact Cement

8K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  TAScadina 
#1 ·
Hello All:

Has anyone tried using contact cement on the frames before installing PSA ( peel and stick ) veneer? I am going to reface my kitchen cabinets and like the idea of using veneer with adhesive already on the back. I know there is veneer you can buy without adhesive on the back but I definitely don’t want to use it because I will be using prefinished veneer and don’t want to take a chance on getting contact cement on the finish.
I did a couple of tests on two pieces of wood 2” x 30”. The test pieces already had a finish on them and were cut from the same board. I cleaned both with denatured alcohol to remove dirt etc. Sanded lightly and wiped down with a tack cloth.
On one piece I applied 2 light coats of (flammable not water based ) contact cement using a 4” paint roller with a very short knap. I let it dry till the contact cement was just slightly tacky and applied the peel and stick veneer. I pressed the veneer down using the recommended “ flat blade “ tool.
On the other piece I applied the peel and stick veneer without any contact cement using the same technique and tool.

I waited 24 hours and tried to remove the veneer.
On the test piece WITHOUT the contact cement I was able to pick off pieces of veneer along the edge about the size of a postage stamp with my fingernail. I then tried to remove the veneer using a 1” chisel. I was able to pry up small pieces about the size of a coffee cup.
On the test piece WITH the contact cement I could NOT pick off any pieces from the edge without great effort and almost lost a fingernail. I tried the 1” chisel and could only remove veneer using a hammer with the chisel. It was like chiseling solid wood.
My conclusion: I will go with the contact cement.

Has anyone had experience using contact cement or know of any reason why contact cement should not be used with peel and stick veneer ?

Many thanks
Gregg

See less See more
#3 ·
"... know of any reason why contact cement should not be used with peel and stick veneer ?"
The 2 adhesives could be incompatible over time.
Ron

#4 ·
Why would you be picking at the veneer after it is applied anyway?

Too much adhesive under the veneer would make any outside corners difficult to deal with. You wouldn't use a chisel to try to peel paint off your cars fender just to see if the paint is sticking!!!:)

#5 ·
How did your project turn out?

May I ask how your project turned out? I ran across your posting in search of same questions. I am getting ready to do my first project with veneer and purchased the peel and stick as well and have a few questions.

If you did use contact cement with the peel and stick veneer, how has it held up?

What kind/brand of contact cement did you use?

Would you do it again? or use the peel and stick without the contact cement?

I would appreciate any input and information you might share. Thanks, Toni...

#6 ·
May I ask how your project turned out? I ran across your posting in search of same questions. I am getting ready to do my first project with veneer and purchased the peel and stick as well and have a few questions.

If you did use contact cement with the peel and stick veneer, how has it held up?

What kind/brand of contact cement did you use?

Would you do it again? or use the peel and stick without the contact cement?

I would appreciate any input and information you might share. Thanks, Toni...
You might try to PM the OP. As you can see the OP only made one post and then didn't bother to return to thank anyone and that was four years ago. In the meantime you could start your own thread and begin anew. He may get an email notification with a PM.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.