Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-26-2013, 12:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Pedestal sink for old bathroom?

My 1911 home's main bath has a pedestal sink installed about 15 years ago. Walls are plaster/lathe still in good condition. The sink was only glued to the wall and has come loose. The bowl is also loose from the pedestal! A wonder it functions without falling over! It does but it is dangerous and has a small leak. If I keep the sink, what is the best way to attach it safely? If I opt for a new sink and it is not pedestal, I have to deal with a 4"wide x 6-7" high wood box along the wall base which was originally built to enclose the incoming the water pipes.

mollywobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:49 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,352

Got a picture?
That sink was suppost to be lag bolted to the studs or a 2 X 6 wooden plate behind the wall.
Some use a steel plate that mounts to the wall and the sink slids onto the plate.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...lectedIndex=21

The sink just sits on the pedistal, it's not attached to it in most cases.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
mollywobbles (04-10-2013)
Old 03-27-2013, 10:41 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

joecaption,
Here are a couple pics. You can see that the bowl was "puttied" to the pedestal. There was originally a large old-fashioned iron sink that was bolted to a piece of iron which was presumably bolted to the wall. That was all removed.
Thank you for the link--Very helpful!
I think the leak is just around the faucet mount. Not sure, but it's just occasional.
Attached Thumbnails
Pedestal sink for old bathroom?-dsc01662.jpg   Pedestal sink for old bathroom?-dsc01664.jpg  
mollywobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:02 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 518

If you decided to go back with something other than the pedestal you could always notch the back bottom edge to fit around the box. Cut a square out of the bottom back edge and then screw it to the wall, the box for the plumbing would then be partially hidden by the vanity. If its a small bathroom, a pedestal is probably best. I would do that in my tiny bathroom if it wasnt for the fact that there are five giant drain holes in my floor that need covered.
The Following User Says Thank You to TrailerParadise For This Useful Post:
mollywobbles (04-10-2013)