Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-28-2009, 01:32 PM   #1

Share |

Painting kitchen cabinets?

Hello all, I am trying to find a kitchen cabinet painter...I can't find this in particular - just painters in general. What should I be looking for? Any tips woudl be appreciated, thanks

tony1853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:37 PM   #2

Odd question for a DIY-related site, but I'll oblige you.

There's no such thing as a "cabinet painter". Pretty much any painting contractor that does interior work is capable of painting woodwork and cabinetry.

If you're not a DIY-er your best bet is to start calling painters in your area, get a few estimates, check references, check local court records, check BBB, verify insurance with the carrier, don't pay more than a small percentage up front, and make sure there is a binding contract and review it carefully before signing.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 03:50 PM   #3

Hi, thanks for the info. I would attempt this myself, but I am concerned with 2 things:

1) end quality - anything less than flawless and my wife will have me ripping out the cabinets and getting new ones!

2) I am concerned with overspray/fumes when the cabinet frames are painted in-place. Small townhouse, 2 small babies in the house...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
Odd question for a DIY-related site, but I'll oblige you.

There's no such thing as a "cabinet painter". Pretty much any painting contractor that does interior work is capable of painting woodwork and cabinetry.

If you're not a DIY-er your best bet is to start calling painters in your area, get a few estimates, check references, check local court records, check BBB, verify insurance with the carrier, don't pay more than a small percentage up front, and make sure there is a binding contract and review it carefully before signing.
tony1853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:39 AM   #4
Jack of all trades

If you make sure the cabinets are clean and use a high quality paint; you would be a hero in your wife's eyes.
wvwirenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:38 PM   #5
gravity always wins

A wife who expects flawless and two small baies in the house? You're doomed.............
Let us know how this works out.
Maintenance 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 03:28 PM   #6
Renovation Contractor

Tony,

I am going to chime in with something after reading your Wife's criteria. I am happy that I am meeting you this way so that I can voice my opinion on her insight if in fact it is accurate and true.

Hi, thanks for the info. I would attempt this myself, but I am concerned with 2 things:

1) end quality - anything less than flawless and my wife will have me ripping out the cabinets and getting new ones!

Maybe if she expects flawless you should have some new ones manufactured or go purchase some new. You have to keep in mind the old ones have flaws that you do not see right now and may only become apparent once the paint is applied putting the burden unfairly on your painter. I hate clients that pull the, "Well it wasn't like that before!" card when in fact it was. New cabinet prices may allow her to see that although not new and not PERFECT they are a lot better than the alternative $15,000 bill new cabinets would be and even then you may deal with imperfections and blemmishes that can take an ion for the manufacturer to replace/ rectify. Don't be "one of those" clients but rather be realistic in your expectations and demands. Now I am not sayin to settle for shotty work just don't be a pain to work with notice I did not say work for?

2) I am concerned with overspray/fumes when the cabinet frames are painted in-place. Small townhouse, 2 small babies in the house...

There will be overspray and fumes unless you choose a low/ no VOC PAINT. you may even be able to find a historical or other type of painter that utilizes milk paints which can create stunning results but if you consult a professional in your area they can walk you through these and any other concerns you may have. Again be reasonable in your expectations and let the professionals do what they do best but make sure you feel comfortable with the decision you make.

With this said good luck and be reasonable in your expectations and realize what you ultimatly are working with old cabinetry which will never change from just that.

Good Luck and be safe!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Committed to providing the finest renovation services available"
Paragon is offline   Reply With Quote