Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-03-2012, 01:35 PM   #1

Share |

Painted tub surround disaster

I live in a mobile home and am on a tight budget. When I first moved in the tub surround was all cracked and peeling; to make it look better and save a few bucks, I naively let someone talk me into painting it. Now I have mold growing in there. How do I get rid of the mold and cover it up? Can I use tile?... or will the mold eat through it eventually?

singlediyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:43 PM   #2

Going to have to let know what's on the wall now.

A whole lot of work if you wan to go with tile, and may or may not work out with a mobil home.
May want to concider a tile looking enclosure instead.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:33 PM   #3

What's on the wall now? Well, it's a tub surround, which I believe is just plastic or whatever those things are made of. I would assume it's a cheaper material. And it's been painted over with I'm not sure what kind of paint. I don't guess that's much help, either is it. Oh, and I'm not committed to the idea of tiling it, I just thought it might be easier than putting in a new tub surround.
singlediyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:57 PM   #4

Easyer,not likly.

Rip everything out to the studs, replace old cheap shower control, install tile board, waterproof, Install tile, grout, seal the grout, add caulking in all the joints.

Post a picture of what you have now.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:08 PM   #5
the Musigician

Quote:
Originally Posted by singlediyer View Post
I live in a mobile home and am on a tight budget.
Please forgive some of our more overzealous members, they tend to give answers without reading the posts thoroughly. You might consider replacing the surround, they aren't THAT much new at the big box stores. But to REALLY try to sve money, consider going to your local Habitat for Humanity ReStore and see if they have a new or lightly used one you can put in for a fraction of the price at other stores. A demo and tile job could end up costing thousands to be done and hundreds if you do it yourself whereas H4H may have a unit for under $100 complete! It pays to shop around in today's economy.

DM
mae-ling (08-03-2012)
Old 08-03-2012, 04:15 PM   #6

Danger did you read all my post?
I'm suggesting using a new enclosure, the O/P thought it would be easer to redo it with tile, so I layed out the may steps needed with tile.
I even mention it most likly would not work out in a mobil home using tile.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:23 PM   #7
the Musigician

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post

Rip everything out to the studs, replace old cheap shower control, install tile board, waterproof, Install tile, grout, seal the grout, add caulking in all the joints.
Sorry, it looked to ME like this ^ is what you were recommending they do....
There was nothing said about a shower control either.... how could you know if it's cheap or a top of the line product???

DM
Old 08-03-2012, 06:36 PM   #8

Please post some pics so we can see what you have.
I was going to detail what to do, but without knowing for sure what is on the walls, ceiling and so forth I'd just be blabbering.
Please post pics and details of what is on the walls (surround and material behind & beside it and ceiling. Some trailers just have panelling on walls and ceilings.
Why ceiling? Because it is attached to the walls and may (or may not ) affect how you repair the walls.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:44 PM   #9

It's a mobil there going to use the cheapest chrome plated plastic control they can find. It's also most likly old Quest tubing.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:09 PM   #10
the Musigician

The thing is joe, you don't KNOW what is there! I lived in a mobilE that DID have copper plumbing and top of the line faucets, because I PUT THEM THERE! The OP could easily have the same situation.

Just sayin'....

DM