Paint Ceramic Tile - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-10-2012, 06:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Paint ceramic tile

Moved into a new house and the bathroom is an ugly pink ceramic tile. I don't have the budget to put in new tile. Someone told me I could paint the tile. I have heard conflicting reports on this....especially since it is in a wet location. Any thoughts or advice would be helpful.

Thanks, Michelle

Advertisement

Mlwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:21 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,300

Paint ceramic tile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlwhite View Post
Someone told me I could paint the tile.
I have heard conflicting reports on this...
How long do you want this decorating effort to last?

Advertisement

TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:39 PM   #3

Paint ceramic tile

Until I can save enough money to completely redo the bathroom.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:01 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 664

Paint ceramic tile

If you think pink tile looks bad wait untill you see what painted tile looks like, not pretty.
Deal with the color untill you have the money.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
creeper (07-11-2012), Evstarr (07-12-2012)
Old 07-10-2012, 09:02 PM   #5

Paint ceramic tile

Kind of what I was thinking! Thanks for the advice.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:10 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Paint ceramic tile

You can paint tile but you will not be happy. There are some epoxy products that work for awhile as well but why waste the money you could save for new tile? I guess they could buy you some time. When epoxy finishes fail in a bath they look worse than what you were trying to cover up though. They might be worth a try if this is a guest bath or something. Here is one kit (judging from the crappy tools they included I would not expect too much). Rustoleum makes an epoxy kit too.

Make sure you spend the time on prep getting rid of mold, algae, mineral deposits and so forth or you will have a mess.

I would work around the color with some wall paint colors, fluffy towels, a festive shower curtain, some candles, etc. until you can redo it. Post a picture and I can give you some color palettes.

I did a pro bono bath for a client's family that was down on their luck. I kept looking for bargain tile and found some really nice, expensive, Italian tile leftover from a large job at the Habitat for Humanity ReStore. I got it for next to nothing. Maybe if you are in the process of shopping for tile you will see light at the end of the tunnel and be better able to live with the pink for now.

Last edited by user1007; 07-10-2012 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Added Photo
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:04 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

Paint ceramic tile

Please do not paint tiles. It looks horrible. Just save some money and get you bathroom done properly. Ugly pink tiles are way better than what you might end up with after painting them.
garethcooper9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:59 PM   #8

Paint ceramic tile

Thanks for all the input. I am going to live with the ugly pink tile for a while and then redo the bath correctly.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:12 PM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Paint ceramic tile

In an effort to cheer you up and show you one possibility for living with the pink?

I anchored a color wheel with my guess as to the color of your tile. I then picked its compliment from directly across on the wheel and came up with a mint green. Complimentary colors tend to cancel each other out.

Next I intensified the pink and green and added some black. I was thinking towel or other accents in these colors could work nicely.

Finally, I did a direct line blend with some noise added to show you some other colors that might work for wall or accent colors.

Last edited by user1007; 07-12-2012 at 06:17 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:32 PM   #10

Paint ceramic tile

Thanks for the color ideas. I will definitely use that for accents to off set the pink.

Advertisement