Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-25-2011, 09:16 AM   #1
Been at it for 45 years

Share |

Old maple flooring for countertop?

I came by some 100 year-old maple flooring that's really pretty, and I'm wondering if it's possible to use it for my kitchen counters? And if so, is it best to use the longer lengths or shorter? My husband and I have been "discussing" this for a couple of years. The countertop I have now is 60-year-old red and black linoleum. Seriously.

This Old Spouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:49 AM   #2

Sure you can. As long as you strip the old finish if any from the flooring material and then apply a food grade mineral oil something like salad bowl finish which is food safe. Also you will have to re-oil your counter frequently to keep them looking good and properly protected.

epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:55 AM   #3
Been at it for 45 years

My idea was to run each plank through the planer to get that old finish off and get all the boards even. I'm quite familiar with finishing with the oil as I have a free-standing island that's butcher block.

Any opinion on whether it's best to use short or long lengths?
Old 02-25-2011, 09:35 PM   #4

The only thing I can suggest with the long and short pieces is to do a mock up of your counter size and see what appeals to you the most before you actually install them.
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:30 AM   #5
Been at it for 45 years

Well, I'd rather have shorter 2'-3' lengths, but my husband insists that it will be harder to get them to lay straight if they're shorter. He says longer pieces will conform better.

Also, should I glue AND nail?

By the way, I'd like to thank everyone for helping my enthusiasm along instead of squashing it! I asked this question on another board about a year ago, and all I got was negative answers. At least you're all helping me look at the possibilities!
Old 02-26-2011, 07:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by This Old Spouse View Post
I came by some 100 year-old maple flooring that's really pretty, and I'm wondering if it's possible to use it for my kitchen counters? And if so, is it best to use the longer lengths or shorter? My husband and I have been "discussing" this for a couple of years. The countertop I have now is 60-year-old red and black linoleum. Seriously.
Unless you can glue them together so no water ever penetrates the cracks, I'd pass on the idea.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
This Old Spouse (02-26-2011)
Old 02-26-2011, 07:51 AM   #7
Been at it for 45 years

Final question about this topic: I have an L-shaped countertop, and for the corner I'd planned on alternating the pieces to form a sort of herringbone look. Do I need to rout a groove in the end pieces to slip into the alternate side? Does this make sense?
Old 02-27-2011, 09:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by This Old Spouse View Post
Final question about this topic: I have an L-shaped countertop, and for the corner I'd planned on alternating the pieces to form a sort of herringbone look. Do I need to rout a groove in the end pieces to slip into the alternate side? Does this make sense?
Routing the ends will keep the pieces integrated with one another, so I think it's a good idea.
Another option is to use a waterproof glue. But the problem is that you don't have a large gluing surface because the middle is routed out.
Ron

Last edited by Ron6519; 02-27-2011 at 09:50 AM.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
This Old Spouse (02-27-2011)
Old 02-28-2011, 12:26 PM   #9

My uncle used flooring for his bar top. This was in a tavern, so it saw a lot of use, and held up great over the years. Unfortunately, I don't know the details of the construction. I do remember he used oak, but that's probably just because he had it, or someone gave it to him.

He had it finished in polyurethane I believe. I don't know if he used food grade or not, but it is available. If you're not preparing food on it directly, there's no real difference between a counter top and a tabletop, as far as finishing is concerned.

If it was me, I'd use the longer pieces, especially where it will see more use. Each joint is a potential failure point -- the fewer the better.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:17 PM   #10
Been at it for 45 years

Would like to see that bar top. Bet it was spectacular.

And good point on using longer pieces. Thanks!