Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-07-2013, 02:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 254

Okay for vanity to be 2" from wall?

Some of the plumbing comes out of the floor and the vent seems to take a 45 degree angle over the corner instead of 90 so the vanity doesn't fit flush up to the backwall/corner. Is it okay to just have it sit forward about 2" assuming it doesn't interfere with the space in front? I'll just create some spacers with wood so I can attach it and then when the guys come to measure for the top everything will fit fine?

The other option (not counting redoing the plumbing which I don't want to do) would be to cut the vanity which is what they did to the old one.

RyanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:46 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,320

Posting a picture would be a real big help.
Is this old steel plumbing?
I can not imagine having it that far out away from the wall looking right.

oh'mike (08-07-2013)
Old 08-07-2013, 06:40 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,294

Not really. It needs to be square with the wall. Can you post a picture with a Carpenter's square on the wall, showing how out of square it is.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:55 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 542

You can do it. If the vanity is in the corner, do you have an end panel that will cover the additional gap? You'll just wind up with a deeper counter top which is a nice thing in a bathroom.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:01 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 254

It's actually not as bad as I thought, looks to be under an inch. Here are some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Okay for vanity to be 2" from wall?-2013-08-09-06.37.22.jpg   Okay for vanity to be 2" from wall?-2013-08-09-06.59.20.jpg  
RyanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:54 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,220

check to see why it is out at the top...it could be the wall....if you can't do anything with it ...shim it and screw it....but check vanity top depth 1 st ...but it looks like it should be ok.....other option tear it all out and start over? ben sr
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:14 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 3,320

Check the floor for level, and the wall for plumb.
I often find the floor is sagging in the center of the room causing the cabinets to tip.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:29 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,002

Ryan,
in the picture looking down, is the vent running horizontal across the wall? If that is that case, since your cabinets fit in between end walls, I would rip a piece of wood to take up the gap and screw it to the wall above the vent if there's room, if not, right below the bent. Fasten your cabinets to the piece of wood after leveling and making sure they're plumb. As long as you are having a countertop made up, it will just have to be a little deeper. Not really a big deal. Don't know why the vent is sticking out, but it's not really hurting anything.
Mike Hawkins

firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote