O I Really Need A Drop Ceiling Over My Bathtub? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-13-2009, 01:26 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

o I really need a drop ceiling over my bathtub?

Hi.

Can someone please tell me what the purpose of the drop ceiling (soffit) over my bathtub is? Does it help to reduce the escape of the steam from showering??

When I renovated my bathroom, I had the soffit removed to gain more vertical space. But shortly after that, I noticed that the tiled walls outside the tub/shower area get pretty wet from the steam of showering, which did not happen before. This happens even with the exhaust fan running for half an hour.

Does the soffit help keep moisture in the tub area by the steam beading on the drop ceiling tiles, then the water droplets drop back into the tub, thus making less steam in the room? Does the soffit also limited the amount of steam out of the tub area because the space for the steam to escape is smaller?

I want to have the soffit built back in over the tub but of course, I don't want to do it if it will not help the moisture problem. I just find it puzzling that I did not have a moisture problem before the soffit was removed.

Thank you for any advice you can give me.

Advertisement

chkaryti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 06:24 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

heat rises. the soffit keeps the heat closer to the tub for a more comfortable bath. Or it may have been added to route ducts into the upper floors.

Advertisement

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:09 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Sounds like you need a good exhaust fan.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote