Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-24-2013, 01:58 AM   #1

Share |

Newbie Kitchen Remodel- tips or advice for cabinets/ countertops?

Hi guys I've never done a major kitchen remodel. I got a bunch of quotes from contractors, but I think I want to try to do work myself as much as possible (like demo, tile, possibly hanging countertops?) then sub out electrical, plumbing, counter fabrication etc whatever is needed to save money.

I posted in another thread about a company called Cabinets To Go. I am contemplating hanging some myself and doing demo etc. I was wondering how easy this would be for a newbie

Also would it be a good idea to re-drywall or re-plumbing underneath the cabinets first since I'll be removing all the old cabinets?

Some contractors recommended re-drywall, replumbing, rewiring underneath the cabinets while others said it isn't necessary.

Also do you have recommendations for where to get cabinets, and COUNTERTOPS. I"m thinking of doing granite, and was thinking about going to granite yards and checking out slabs. Are there any tips as to what thickness I should go for? Do big box stores like home depot have good pricing for granite?

Any other recomendations for fabricating or picking out people to install granite counters? It's only about 37 sq ft of countertop

Any other recommendations are appreciated

Last edited by crayola110; 09-24-2013 at 02:00 AM.
crayola110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:26 AM   #2
DIY staff

Much depends on the time you have and your natural mechanical abilities---

These are the steps----
area protection
Demo and disposal --this includes the drywall behind the cabinets---
(if you hope to remove soffits---cut some holes and look inside first--sometimes there are pipes and such hiding up there)

Upgrade the plumbing
upgrade the electrical
add wiring for under counter lights
replace the drywall---prime and one coat of finish paint

prepare floors and install finished floor

install cabinets

Trim out the floor--base and shoe---caulk and paint---

Install counter tops---

hook up sink/ dishwasher/stove/ exhaust fan/microwave

Paint

crayola110 (09-25-2013)
Old 09-24-2013, 07:32 AM   #3
DIY staff

A frequent problem---the height of the sink drain---------

The old standard was 18"---that is to high for many modern kitchens---undermount sinks--deep sinks--and garbage disposers --best is about 15"
crayola110 (09-25-2013)
Old 09-25-2013, 10:05 PM   #4

Thanks mike that timeline will help a lot for highering contractors. And figuring out what I can and can't do.

Anyone know best places or advice for countertops?

Thanks for help in advance
Old 09-26-2013, 06:04 AM   #5
DIY staff

Counter tops --that is a competitive business---with quality all over the place---

Ask friends or use the recommendation from your contractors ---

A lousy installation makes a cheap price actually a very high price----
Old 09-27-2013, 12:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Counter tops --that is a competitive business---with quality all over the place---

Ask friends or use the recommendation from your contractors ---

A lousy installation makes a cheap price actually a very high price----
Yeah I guess I'll just hit up some granite yards in my area Los Angeles. If anyone has any recommendations on where to go let me know pls!
Old 09-28-2013, 10:48 AM   #7
Bill Kearney

Most counters are going to be 1.5" (or 3 centimeters) thick, and that's fine. If you want a fancier thick edge look then consider having the fabricator make a mitered edge as that will save a considerable amount of money (and weight).

I'd start by working with a kitchen designer to figure out the best use of the space. You may or may not want to follow through with their products or ideas but it certainly can't hurt to talk with a few. You never know what ideas you might miss that a pro would catch. Then shop around to see what cabinet brands are typically sold in your region. Then go back to the website for each vendor and see who they list as dealers. You may find a local supplier that's very inexpensive compared to others. I found that a local plumbing supply place was considerably less expensive for a particular brand. Now, I had to do ALL the planning, but it saved me quite a lot for a laundry room and a bar area.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wkearney99 For This Useful Post:
crayola110 (10-28-2013)
Old 09-28-2013, 12:26 PM   #8
K&B Designer

1. It always costs more than you think it "should".

2. Make a budget and stick to it, but be sure there is a "contingency" amount in it.

3. 10-20% of your home's value is generally what should be spent to avoid either over or under improving for your neighborhood. Half of that goes to cabinets, as that's the least easiest thing to change out later.

4. Inspiration pics help if you don't have a clear design vision, but be careful, as most pics on Houzz are of luxury kitchens which cost many thousands above the average kitchen remodel budget of 50K.

5. Lighting and ventilation are the two most forgotten elements and both are much more important to the function of your kitchen than shiny new granite counters.

6. Pros do thousands of kitchen redos to your one or two, and very often the costs of a KD are free with the purchase of cabinets. We keep up with trends, new technology, and products. We aren't here to stamp our vision on your kitchen, we're here to make your dream function better and look better than you can imagine. We listen to you, and you should listen to use. We've been down that road before and will try to get to the meta reasons behind the ideas you present to us.

7. Box stores don't always have the best quality, or the best deals or any qualified professionals at all.

8. Trends come and go and there is no "timeless" design, despite what the style mavens try to tell you about white kitchens right now.

9. Good quality materials that aren't trendy are the best investment, as quality natural materials that aren't overly ornamented never goes out of style. They may not be "in", but they won't be "out" unless they are a popular fad now. Fads don't age well.

10. It's supposed to be FUN to spend this much money! LOL!
Live_Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Live_Oak For This Useful Post:
crayola110 (10-28-2013), oh'mike (10-01-2013)
Old 10-28-2013, 02:24 PM   #9

Thanks for the great advice. I'm in the midst of tearing out floors and painting first coats in other rooms now.

Also, I'm thinking of going with shaker cabinets either coffee/greyish or white. I know it's very different!

I'm just all over the place with pricing, different grades of material, differing quotes and opinions etc. I plan on remodeling a few other kitchen on rental properties after this so anything I learn will be used again within a year. The quality of those will probably be cheaper though. This one is more for myself so I might go with higher grade materials..

Any other advice appreciated, I love this place.

Last edited by crayola110; 10-28-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Much depends on the time you have and your natural mechanical abilities---
Here's another tip: Don't discount Mike's point about your available time to work on the project. If you have a full-time job during the per week and you choose to do the kitchen yourself, then your time for the remodel is limited. Therefore, it WILL take you a while to complete it. In addition to budgets and a list of 'what's to done' also put together a realistic timetable for the project.
DIYRemodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:32 PM   #11

Here's a little update. I had acted as contractor and outsourced certain things. Had someone else install cabinets. Ha da lot of issues along way, but learned a lot along the way.

Anyone have suggestions for a back splash? I was thinking very light to contrast with the espresso? Maybe white, or glass subway tiles? I was also toying with putting stainless steel subway above sink and white subway on rest of kitchen?
to the right is sort of a desk area which is about the same back splash area as the above sink area
Old 03-20-2014, 06:11 PM   #12
DIY staff

Stainless steel subway would look good---a grey glass subway would also go well---

What ever you use--simple will look best with those cabinets-----

Looks good---what brand of cabinets? Do you like the actuality?
Old 03-20-2014, 07:38 PM   #13

The brand of cabinets was some cheap Chinese one. I remember asking about cabinets to go and if say the build quality is similar but I got these cheaper than cabinets to go. They're RTA- ready to assemble. All plywood sides and oak front. I shopped around a lot and was on a budget. Soft close etc. For the same price as just the island and the sink area. I was able to do the cabinets on desk to right to right for same price.
Been happy with them so far but time will tell if they fall apart and aren't in business to honor warranty in 5 yrs lol

Sorry if typos I'm on iPhone

The Following User Says Thank You to crayola110 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (03-20-2014)