Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-04-2010, 08:42 PM   #1

Share |

New tub w/flange - tile surround & underlayment ques.

Taking the bathroom down to the studs and replacing the bathtub. The new tub has a tile flange on it, 10mm thick (about .4"). I'm going to put CBU around the tub, and it will meet drywall on all areas - both side walls and around the top. I'm using the thin standard tiles, subway style. The bullnose pieces of the current tiles indicate a lot of space between the tile and the wall (it's an old-school mortar/mesh installation). They still sell those tiles, so what kind of underlayment situation exists these days for that look? The bullnose tiles I have now assume a completely flat underlayment.

Aside from that, I've got two(ish) questions:

1. Do I need to overlap the CBU over the tub flange? I've seen both opinions on here I guess. If I do, how do I do it? If I don't, how do I make that seal? Does the tile hang off the bottom of the CBU, keeping about 1/8" of a gap?

2. How do I deal with the joint between the 1/2" CBU and the 3/8" drywall? Should I use 1/2" drywall instead? Either way, I'm guessing the CBU and drywall won't be exactly the same thickness. I know I need to use CBU tape to join the two. If I shim out the CBU to go over the flange (see question 1) then the CBU will stick out further than the rest of the drywall.

Ok, so I guess that was a lot more than two questions. Either way, I'm trying to get my head around all of this before I start - I've got a few weeks.

Thanks!

spidrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:53 PM   #2

3/8 is awful thin. I would replace it with 1/2 if I was doing all that tearing out anyway. I don't see any reason it would not match the 1/2 inch CBU. It seems to me that they manufacture these things knowing they will go together in tile installations.

Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 03:41 PM   #3

Can anyone answer the above questions by spidrw? I need to know. Thanx!
Tudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudy View Post
Can anyone answer the above questions by spidrw? I need to know. Thanx!
The drywall I used was 1/2" - don't know why I thought it was 3/8".

Anyway, the two surfaces met up pretty well. There was one section (bad studs) where the CBU was a little 'below' the drywall, so I furred the studs out a little to make them even. I also left about an eigth inch gap between the top of the tub flange and the bottom of the CBU. As for joining the seams, CBU tape and then drywall mud. When it was all ready, I put a good thick coat of Redguard over the whole thing - even the seams.

The tile covered the seams, so they didn't have to be pretty, and the Redguard keeps them dry. You can see from the picture that there aren't any problems with changes in surface thickness between the drywall and the CBU.
Attached Thumbnails
New tub w/flange - tile surround & underlayment ques.-08.jpg  
Old 07-21-2010, 08:21 AM   #5

Looks good.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:31 AM   #6
Electrician

Did you silicon the gap between the CBU and the top of the tub lip?

Did you put plastic on the wall behind the CBU? If so, did you run it down to the floor or did you run it to the tub lip and inside the tub?
Proby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proby View Post
Did you silicon the gap between the CBU and the top of the tub lip?

Did you put plastic on the wall behind the CBU? If so, did you run it down to the floor or did you run it to the tub lip and inside the tub?
I siliconed the gap the best I could. Since there was nothing behind the gap, I don't know that it made the best contact. I made sure that there was plenty of seal behind the tile that overhangs the flange though.

I didn't use plastic because I used Redguard - you shouldn't use both, otherwise you're creating a sandwich of vapor barriers, and when water does get in there, it has nowhere to go. The Redguard just went over the CBU and the CBU/drywall seams.
The Following User Says Thank You to spidrw For This Useful Post:
Proby (07-21-2010)
Old 07-21-2010, 11:16 AM   #8

Thumbs up

Awesome job, spidrw!

I hope my project turns out as well. I was thinking of putting up a couple of corner shelves or Noble Nitche, as well. I see that you have another alternative kind of shelf. Now to make up my mind.

Thanx for your reply & pic of your completed project.
Tudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudy View Post
Awesome job, spidrw!

I hope my project turns out as well. I was thinking of putting up a couple of corner shelves or Noble Nitche, as well. I see that you have another alternative kind of shelf. Now to make up my mind.

Thanx for your reply & pic of your completed project.
I wanted a shelf so my wife would quit piling her shampoo bottles up on the towel bar, but they just didn't fit the 'crisp' lines look we were going for. That and we would have had to special order the shelf to get the color to match the tile - which made the cost not worth it. I think we picked that little suction guy up from Target - the suction cups fit perfectly on the 3x6 tile and it's strong.

Tags
bathroom, bathtub, tile