New Toilet Doesn't Sit Flush On New Tile - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-08-2011, 11:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New toilet doesn't sit flush on new tile

I'm installing a new toilet on newly installed porcelain tile. I tested the way it sits on the tile without the wax ring, just setting in place on the foor where it's supposed to rest. The rim of the toilet base did not touch the tile; it was held up off the floor by something in the center of the base. I turned it upside down and saw that there are ribs molded into the bottom of the toilet to help support it. However, theses ribs protrude lower than the rim of the base, and prevent it from touching the floor. Can I, should I, grind or file down these ribs so they are even with the rim of the base?

[The old flange was replaced when the tile was installed. It's screwed into the backer board and is slightly higher than the top of the new tile.]

Advertisement

toycosm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

How high off the floor does it sit? If it's less then 1/4", you can caulk the space.
What make of toilet is this?
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
How high off the floor does it sit? If it's less then 1/4", you can caulk the space.
What make of toilet is this?
Ron
The gap is less than 1/4". It could easily be caulked, but all the weight is resting on four short ribs. I'm just not comfortable with that. On linoleum, I imagine they would sink in let the rest of the base contact the floor. Unless there's a way to work down these ribs, I don't think I'll use this model (Kohler Cimarron).
Old 05-11-2011, 07:18 AM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,276

Take a picture of the toilet flange---If you used a 3" inside glued flange you are in trouble----those only work if mounted flush to the floor surface,(or below)
Old 05-11-2011, 08:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by toycosm View Post
The gap is less than 1/4". It could easily be caulked, but all the weight is resting on four short ribs. I'm just not comfortable with that. On linoleum, I imagine they would sink in let the rest of the base contact the floor. Unless there's a way to work down these ribs, I don't think I'll use this model (Kohler Cimarron).
These could be projections not cleaned off at the manufacturing plant and not spacers.
Can you take a photo of these?
Ron
Old 05-11-2011, 11:15 PM   #6

I took that toilet back to the store. I looked at the same model in another store, it had two of the four ribs protruding below the base rim, and the other two flush. I thinks its mfg variance. I'm not opposed to working them down if theres a safe way to do it, but I don't know anything about that material.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by toycosm View Post
I took that toilet back to the store. I looked at the same model in another store, it had two of the four ribs protruding below the base rim, and the other two flush. I thinks its mfg variance. I'm not opposed to working them down if theres a safe way to do it, but I don't know anything about that material.
A grinder with a masonary composite blade would make short work of the protrusions without causing trauma to the unit. It's like sanding the high spots off a piece of wood.
Ron

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
toycosm (05-15-2011)

Tags
leveling , tile floor , toilet installation