Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-04-2014, 08:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

new shower by newbie!!!

Hello pros, I'm a newbie to the this site, but was hoping for some direction. I have a 60"x35" fiberglass shower unit that I am ripping out! I am going to tile the walls for sure! The question is to tile or not to tile the floor??? Researched internet and found bases that are tile ready, for example tile redi, and redgard. Not so sure for these products though... Are they easy to use? Is it hard to tile a floor? I guess my only options are a plastic looking fiberglass base or tile, right? No contractors involved, this is just me myself and I with this one. Don't want anything too complicated by I want it to look nice. Thanks for any advise or direction you can give me.

zinopower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:57 AM   #2
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

new shower by newbie!!!

Tiling a floor is a bit harder since you have to deal with the slope. I went with a fiberglass pan because I simply did not want to scrub all that grout.

Tile redi?

Read this:
Tile Redi Shower pan question

Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blondesense For This Useful Post:
zinopower (08-04-2014)
Old 08-04-2014, 10:21 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,246

new shower by newbie!!!

I would definitely want a tiled floor with a tiled shower. Schluter Kerdi is a relatively easy shower floor system to use, and the shower kit makes waterproofing your shower relatively easy too.
jeffnc is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffnc For This Useful Post:
zinopower (08-04-2014)
Old 08-04-2014, 12:08 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,128

new shower by newbie!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinopower View Post
Hello pros, I'm a newbie to the this site, but was hoping for some direction. I have a 60"x35" fiberglass shower unit that I am ripping out! I am going to tile the walls for sure! The question is to tile or not to tile the floor??? Researched internet and found bases that are tile ready, for example tile redi, and redgard. Not so sure for these products though... Are they easy to use? Is it hard to tile a floor? I guess my only options are a plastic looking fiberglass base or tile, right? No contractors involved, this is just me myself and I with this one. Don't want anything too complicated by I want it to look nice. Thanks for any advise or direction you can give me.
Stay away from the Tile-Redi product. Those things can be a nightmare. Redgard is not a shower base, it is a liquid (paint-on) waterproofing product.

Don't tile the base. Buy an acrylic or Fiberglas shower floor that you can set into a cubby hole and then tile the walls only. The walls will require tile-backer, NO DRYWALL. There are other cautions you should know about but make some decisions on the method you will use first.
Arlo (08-04-2014), JazMan (08-30-2014), zinopower (08-04-2014)
Old 08-04-2014, 12:59 PM   #5

new shower by newbie!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Stay away from the Tile-Redi product. Those things can be a nightmare.
It's interesting you say that. I was just looking at a video on their site, and I got half way through and thought to myself "no way".

Quote:
The walls will require tile-backer, NO DRYWALL.
Drywall is fine with Kerdi of course - that's what I'd use, but his homeowner will have to decide for himself.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:09 PM   #6
Tileguy

new shower by newbie!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnc View Post
It's interesting you say that. I was just looking at a video on their site, and I got half way through and thought to myself "no way".
Drywall is fine with Kerdi of course - that's what I'd use, but his homeowner will have to decide for himself.
There are several Tile-Redi nightmares mentioned on this site somewhere, one of them is mine. That product is garbage and their customer support staff is uninformed and without field experience.

True drywall can be used with KERDI Mat but KERDI Mat has a "learning curve" I wouldn't thrust on this particular DIY. Keep it simple for zinopower.
JazMan (08-30-2014)
Old 08-04-2014, 01:28 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

new shower by newbie!!!

Thanks Tileguy for the help! I am a women and will be doing this on my own. I'm VERY handy around the house, but this will be my first tile work so I do need to keep it as simple as I can! I want it really nice though....LOL
zinopower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:44 PM   #8

new shower by newbie!!!

Of course a premade acrylic shower pan would be the easiest. I'm just thinking if she's willing to tile walls and niche, she can tile a floor too. The only question is the drain installation. Personally, I think a tiled floor looks so much better with tiled walls. This looks cheap and half-assed, but that is just one man's opinion on aesthetics.

http://content.angieslist.com/2012/3...001bf3e68e.JPG
Old 08-04-2014, 01:44 PM   #9
Tileguy

new shower by newbie!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinopower View Post
Thanks Tileguy for the help! I am a women and will be doing this on my own. I'm VERY handy around the house, but this will be my first tile work so I do need to keep it as simple as I can! I want it really nice though....LOL
You'll do fine! Anything we can do to help just holler.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:39 PM   #10
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,306

new shower by newbie!!!

zinopower....where are you located?

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:34 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,248

new shower by newbie!!!

Quote:
Of course a premade acrylic shower pan would be the easiest. I'm just thinking if she's willing to tile walls and niche, she can tile a floor too. The only question is the drain installation. Personally, I think a tiled floor looks so much better with tiled walls. This looks cheap and half-assed, but that is just one man's opinion on aesthetics.

http://content.angieslist.com/2012/3...001bf3e68e.JPG
i agree. but if that pan was a "color" it would look good.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fix'n it For This Useful Post:
JazMan (08-30-2014)
Old 08-28-2014, 06:30 PM   #12
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,366

new shower by newbie!!!

Cast onyx pans come in a huge variety of colors---in this area they are made to order by a local cast counter top company.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:33 PM   #13

new shower by newbie!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix'n it View Post
i agree. but if that pan was a "color" it would look good.
I can imagine it would. But there is just something more custom looking about tile
Old 08-28-2014, 08:22 PM   #14
Tileguy

new shower by newbie!!!

Quote:
I can imagine it would. But there is just something more custom looking about tile
And something more detailed and difficult.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:08 PM   #15

new shower by newbie!!!

Quote:
True drywall can be used with KERDI Mat but KERDI Mat has a "learning curve" I wouldn't thrust on this particular DIY. Keep it simple for zinopower.
I'm curious why you keep writing KERDI Mat, especially always with a capital "M". Schluter doesn't call it that - they refer to it as KERDI membrane or KERDI waterproof membrane.

Also, Kerdi is probably easier to install than traditional cement boards. It's easier to cut to size, easier to hold in place, and requires no screws. When applying to a wall, it's very easy to cut out holes for the shower faucet and shower head spout while on the wall. Try doing that with cement board. It requires thinset, just like cement board on a floor would require. There is a "learning curve" I suppose with any new product one tries, but it's nothing difficult.

Tags
shower tile