Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-31-2011, 09:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

New house, need kitchen ideas

My wife and I are closing on our first house Sept. 30. One of the things we want to do before moving in is do a mild (read: inexpensive) kitchen renovation.

The current kitchen has laminate wood grain looking counter tops which are in good condition, and matching color cabinets. I believe that the cabinets doors are a solid wood frame with a laminated or veneered insert panel. These cabinets are not in as good a shape, as there is definite discernible wear into the finish. Overall the look is too much light wood.

Also the kitchen appliances are older and I think we will want to consolidate the stove and microwave into a 'stacked' design to save some counter top space, so probably going to look for a low end glasstop stove with matching hanging microwave. Probably will want to work something up to hang pots and pans above the extension that juts out and separates kitchen/dining area.

Otherwise we are looking for input on colors/options to refinish the cabinets and possibly counter tops. We would probably be wanting to either sand and paint or stain the cabinets and perhaps do something like the Rustoleum counter top transformation kit, replace laminate, or possibly keep the current if we can find a color for the cabinets and walls that works with what is there.

Here's what we are working with:

You can sorta see the finish issues on these photos. The pictures look better than real life.

So basically looking for some color inspirations, ideas for dealing with painting/refinishing, any other tips or tricks.

Thanks!

wolfsburged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:14 AM   #2

If you do a search of the painting section on this site you will find many many posts regarding painting cabinets and also the countertop painting. Once reviewing those threads you may have your answers or post new ones in the painting section since it seems most of your issues are painting related, not remodeling per se.

Good Luck and see you in the painting section

www.picturetrail.com/mickey51
m1951mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:34 AM   #3

We had a very similar color of cabinets and counter tops in our past home. To go cheap we ended up painting the cabinets white and doing a nice dark laminate top. Sorry for no pictures of the old golden oak cabinets but they are there under the white paint. Was going to remove the tile and redo that also but we ended up selling the house and are now building a new home.

Last edited by amuffly; 09-01-2011 at 10:02 AM.
amuffly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:05 AM   #4

I like the white - it brightens things up a lot. May have to paint a cabinet door or two and see how it looks with the current counter top. Maybe white cabinets/ wood look counter would not be too bad...
wolfsburged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:09 PM   #5

You may try painting the cabinets white and then painting the wall with some color to make the cabinets and counter top pop.
amuffly is offline   Reply With Quote