Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-28-2013, 09:58 PM   #1

Share |

New bahtroom for basement finishing project

Hello,

Had a few questions with regards to installing tile for a new shower I am installing, since I am finishing my basement. The basement was already plumbed for a bathroom, but it was plumbed for a tub, I am installing a shower, so I used a fiberglass pan, 34x60, already installed.

I was going to use Schluter-Kerdi Backer board on the walls for the tile.

My questions are as follows:
1. How far past the edge of the shower pan should the tiles go, is there usually a minimum? (I was thinking about 3-6 inches past the shower base)
2. Do I need to place a stud at the location of where the Kerdi board ends, and drywall starts, so the ends are nailed/screwed into a stud?
3. Do I tile right up to the joint of the kerdi board/drywall, or do my edge tiles actually end up covering that joint, so a portion of the edge tiles end up being installed on the drywall?
4. When installing the kerdi board, should it go over the shower flange, and leave about 1/4" above the lip and caulk that, or do I stop it short of the flange, and caulk the gap between the board and flange?

Thanks,
Steve

svaic00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:30 AM   #2
DIY staff

First ,Your framing---add studs where the shower door will be installed---end your backer board there---tile will cover that junction.

Add 2x blocking to the wall for safety grab rails---good to have even if no rails are getting installed right now.

Backer board---set it on top of the shower pan flange---fill the gap with thinset---

How far past the pan that you tile is a matter of proportion and style---as you suggested---3 to 6 inches is common.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Backer board---set it on top of the shower pan flange---fill the gap with thinset---
With regards to placing the board over the flange.

I have a small gap, maybe about 1/8" or so between the stud wall, and the shower pan at the back wall of the shower, and then the flange is thick by about another 1/8" or so. So that means I need to place about 1/4" shim to get the face of stud to be flush with the face of flange, and then if I place 1/2" kerdi board, the total wall thickness there is 3/4", while the adjoining drywall will only be 1/2"

Do i need to shim every stud in the bathroom then, so the face of drywall and face of backerboard are the same, or can I use 1/4" thick kerdi backer board? Is there a certian thickness backboard I need to use, is 1/4" to thin (do they even make 1/4" backerboard).

What would be the best way to go, so that my drywall and backerboard come out in the bathroom in the same plane/flush with each other?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 08-01-2013, 06:20 AM   #4
DIY staff

The board sits on the top of the flange---do not cover the flange with the backer board----leave that open and fill with thinset---
Old 08-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #5

Quote:
The board sits on the top of the flange---do not cover the flange with the backer board----leave that open and fill with thinset---
So similar to the attached sketch? The drawing is exaggerated a bit, but this is more for the idea of what you were talking about?

Thanks,
Steve
Attached Thumbnails
New bahtroom for basement finishing project-shower-pan.jpg  
Old 08-01-2013, 05:44 PM   #6
DIY staff

That looks about right---tile will cover the gap---thinset will fill in the void---
Old 08-02-2013, 07:48 AM   #7

Quote:
That looks about right---tile will cover the gap---thinset will fill in the void---
Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to svaic00 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (08-02-2013)