Need Small Bathroom/Shower Advice - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-23-2012, 01:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need Small Bathroom/Shower Advice

Hi everyone, I'm looking to re-do my bathroom and I'm going crazy trying to figure out how to do it. Firstly

- Small bathroom 65x120 with like a 80" roof
- basement bathroom on concrete
- I live in ontario canada
- gut job

One thing I considered was a curbless/DIY shower, mainly because I didnt want a thick shower base (previous mortar one I ripped out was 7" high) that would reduce the already low head space but I cannot find a guide or product online. I'd greatly appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction here as I think this would be the best route. Another reason was because the drain didn't fit a pre-fab shower base I bought at lowes, so I figured none of them would.

I've seen products online like schluter but I'm not even sure they would fit the drain. I also know that it would require a lot of waterproofing, re-leveling and time

Would it be better to just jackhammer the floor and move the shower drain to fit a pre-fab shower base?

Ideally I'd like to achieve something exactly like this: http://www.houzz.com/photos/75445/Ba...athroom-boston

Advertisement

Toilet Bowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:25 PM   #2
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,020

I don't have an answer, but I do like that bathroom and would love to do something similar.

I watch House Hunters International and see similar bathrooms in Europe. I don't know why they are not popular or done in North America.

I do think the two main issues are waterproofing everything properly and the drain size. A large enough drain is essential as a slow or blocked drain could cause catastrophic damage. I do think the Schluter products (Kerdi and Ditra) are your best options for waterproofing.

Advertisement

Last edited by Blondesense; 07-23-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:24 PM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,290

I missed this thread somehow----

As long as you need to open the floor for the drains---going curbless is a natural next step---

remove the entire shower floor area--add a schluter or Latacrete drain--pack the new base into the empty hole--rock your walls--and then use Hydroban by Latacrete---walls and floor--