Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-26-2010, 03:19 PM   #1

Share |

Need to replace two tiles on brand new wall

I recently took my bathroom down to the studs, and am now in the final steps to the process, no thanks to any of the contractors I used. Anyway...

The plumber came today to do the final hookup of the tub faucets and such, and there are two gaps in the tile where the fixtures didn't cover what I thought they would. One is around the valve, and the other is above the tup spigot.

It would just be two tiles to replace, and I have plenty of them, but I'm wondering about thinset and grout. Do I need to buy another 50 lb bag of thinset and a 10 lb bag of grout to do it right? Can I use the pre-mixed thinset that comes in the tub for these two tiles? The grout I guess isn't a big deal. It's a huge waste of material, but not a lot of money or time.

See my picture for my problem...

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Need to replace two tiles on brand new wall-img_0218-large-.jpg  

spidrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:03 PM   #2
DIY staff

Those are soft tiles and shouldn't be to hard to remove---tap them gently and crack-em--
take them out in small pieces.

As for gluing in the two new ones--I'd use clear silicone and tape them in till they dry--

As for the grout--you have no choice but to buy more of the same brand----save the left over in an air tight can.

oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Those are soft tiles and shouldn't be to hard to remove---tap them gently and crack-em--
take them out in small pieces.

As for gluing in the two new ones--I'd use clear silicone and tape them in till they dry--

As for the grout--you have no choice but to buy more of the same brand----save the left over in an air tight can.

Thanks! Checked Home Depot and all I found for silicone adhesive was aquarium glue. Would some Liquid Nails work? Says it's waterproof.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:00 PM   #4
DIY staff

Regular old silicone caulk--100 % silicone-kitchen and bath. And yes ,liquid nails would work.--Mike--
Old 04-28-2010, 10:14 PM   #5

Thanks! One more question...well...two I guess.

The substrate is Hardibacker, and I put RedGard over it. When I removed the old thinset, the RedGard came off with it. Very cleanly, but now my waterproof membrane is compromised. Should I carefully put more RedGard over the bare spots or just run a bead of silicon around the area to re-seal it?

Also, the thinset was about a quarter inch thick, so the new tiles are a little below the surface if they're directly on the wall. Should I make a bed of silicon to keep the tile even with the rest of the surface, or should I just embed some spacers behind the tile? I'm not sure what a cavity back there would do if water happened to find it's way in.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:28 AM   #6
DIY staff

Take a putty knife and coat the backer with a thin coating of the silicone,then put silicone on the tile
and push it into place.

Have a bottle of soapy spray cleaner and some paper towels handy.I like Greased Lightning--409 works well also.

As soon as you push the tile into place--spray the tile down with the soapy spray. Silicone can not stick to soap--Remove any squeeze out with your finger--soap it again and clean out the grout line

Wipe clean with your towels --tape if needed. The silicone will replace the missing redguard.

---Mike--