Need Info On Tiling Around A 90 Degree Outside Wall Corner - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-14-2010, 10:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need info on tiling around a 90 degree outside wall corner

We are planning on remodeling our bathroom and putting a half wall of tile around the room. Our tub is inclosed by 3 walls, from what I have read is that at the corners at the back of the tube you would use caulk instead of grout up and down on the corner and along the bottom on all 3 sides of the tub. On the right hand side of our tub we have a wall that comes out maybe 4 inches past the new tub we are going to put in and there is a 90 degree angle there to the closet that has our washer and dryer in it. My question is have I read right about the caulking around the back and sides of the tub, and how to address going around the 90 degree angle at the front of the tub that connects to my closet. Will we leave a grout line there or miter the corners of the tile and thinset them together. I have looked everywhere I can think of for a answer. I want to know what I am doing before we do it so not to do it over. I can't see how we could miter the corner without chipping the tile, and I didn't know it lapping and leaving a grout line was right either.

thanks in advance for any help with this,
Sandra

Advertisement

s38hyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:25 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Re: where to caulk.
Houses move and settle constantly, so anywhere that two different walls meet, there will be movement. So, the vertical corners that run from the corner of the tub to the ceiling, as well as where the walls meet the tub should be caulk, not grout.
Re: turning the corner.
You don't want to miter tile. Instead you purchase bullnose tile. This tile has a rounded factory edge. The bullnose rounded edge should be installed so that it ends flush with the washer wall.

Advertisement

Dairylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:40 PM   #3

Thanks for the info on where to put the caulk. I thought I had understood what I had read but wanted to make sure I was reading right.

As for the corner, I haven't been able to find any of the bull nose in the tile I want to use. The photo of what I want to do looks like it is a continuous tile from one side to the other almost 2 full tiles. Maybe if I describe what we want to do you can picture it. I want to put a molding type of tile at the bottom then a 6x6 tile row on top then a liner bar then another row of 6x6 tiles then a molding tile row, then diagonal 12x12 tile row with a molding row on top of the 12x12's I can tell from the photo that the molding is mitered from the photo. But where the 12x12's are on the diagonal the places where they are wrapping around the corner they look like a flat tile that someone was able to bend instead
of cutting it. That is the one I can't figure out. I know that they can't bend them so the only thing I could come up with is there is a miter cut there. I am sooooo confused. Hubby said we would just lap them but I want it to look somewhat like a pro did it not just us slapping tiles up because it is easier that way. LOL He said find out how it is done and we will do it but he bets we should lap it. LOL
(the 6x6 and the 12x12's are flat tile, like floor tile)
If I could post a link to the photo I would like to do our bathroom like I would but since this is my first times posting I don't know the rules about posting a link. Someone let me know if I can post a link where the photo can be seen.

thanks,
Sandra

Last edited by s38hyler; 02-15-2010 at 07:42 PM. Reason: adding something
Old 02-15-2010, 09:23 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Post a link. No worries from the link police.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mop in Hand View Post
Post a link. No worries from the link police.
Here it is. I want to use as close to this as I can find in our price range.

http://www.mosaictileco.com/Room%20S...ile-Bath-1.jpg

thanks,
Sandra
Old 02-15-2010, 11:20 PM   #6

One thing is for sure the tiles weren't bent. Hard to tell in the link if the 12 x12 were mitered or not. Could have been. Laping the tile would be the easiest, however I would polish the edge. If the tiles in the link were full bodied (same color thoughout the tile) they could have been lapped too. Here's another option http://www.schluter.com/2_1_rondec.aspx

Last edited by Mop in Hand; 02-15-2010 at 11:26 PM.
Mop in Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:32 PM   #7

I looked at the link you sent, I think that would work if I were just doing the field tiles like they used in the the photo but with the pencil tile and molding type tile I would have to miter those for the corner and it wouldn't look right half mitered and half not, I could be wrong though. I am going to go to the tile place this weekend and see if they would have a bullnose in that tile I am sure I didn't see any the last time I was there but maybe I missed them and I will also ask if they have any. We will probably do the kitchen floor before we tackle the bathroom so we can have some experence putting tile down. I am also going to check where there is a class on how to do tile with one of the hardware stores. I just want to make sure we do this right, I have watched so many diy shows that I think I could do it now, except for figuring out the mitering I have never seen them miter tile on the shows before.

here is a photo of the bathroomthat we will be re-doing, if you look to the back of the closet doors that is the corner I have to go around you can see the tub on the other side of that wall. http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v1...rent=Bath1.jpg Right now there is a half wall of paneling all the way around the room

Thanks so much for helping me,
Sandra
Old 02-16-2010, 09:26 PM   #8

Yes, those pencils are usually mitered, but the large field tiles typically are not.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:00 PM   #9
Why not

Rewards Points: 25

It is completely fine to overlap the edges. I would just consider which side you look at the most, or is most prominent, and overlap that side.

As for the corners, use white silicone. Not "caulk"

Will still require regular maintenance (once a yearish)
noahweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:57 PM   #10

I think what we will do is buy a couple extra tiles and try to miter them, if it doesn't work then we will wind up lapping them. I have looked for videos on how to miter tiles but no luck except for the molding tile types.
thanks for everyones help, and if you know a video please let me know or if you have any other ideas of how to do the corner I would appriciate it.
thanks,
Sandra
Old 02-21-2010, 03:04 PM   #11
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,616

You can make bullnose out of most any porcelain tiles. Have your own bullnose made from your tile.

Lapping tiles to make an outside corner is an amateur thing to do and looks like it when it is done. The unskilled installers around here do that crap every so often and it is a terrible outcome.

Mitering those tiles aren't going to be easy for an amateur that has never done it and doesn't have the proper tools. I would consider using Schluter Schein metal edging for that little area of tile and be done it. The other trim features would of course have to be mitered, no big deal. The metal edging is available in a lot of colors.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:21 PM   #12

Bud, why install Scheine vs. Rondec? Prefer one over the other?
Old 02-21-2010, 06:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
I would consider using Schluter Schein metal edging for that little area of tile and be done it.
That stuff looks really commercial and tacky.
Stick with the bullnose.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:49 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,000

sharp blade plus patience = good mitered outside corner. do it all the time
Old 02-22-2010, 11:52 AM   #15

One of the reasons that I have suggested (and I believe that Bud Cline has suggested) a Rondec or Scheine corner, because cutting a 12x12 tile with a miter on the diagonal is not an easy task even for the experienced. It takes time and skill even with the proper saw. Anything less than a perfect mitered corner won't look right either. The OP may find that after cutting 47 tiles,and 3 days later, he/she may have wished they had gone a different route. Don't get my wrong s38, I'm not saying you can't do it. I just would not pick this as a first or second tiling project. By adding experience and practice to the math used above by tpolk, you will end up with a better result.

Advertisement