DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Need help removing old grout and tile

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  marnab2 
#1 ·
I am in the process of replacing the floor in the shower stall. I have removed all the floor tile and now need to remove the last row of the wall tile, without damaging the tile. I have a grout scraper, chisel and hammer, but the grout is like a solid block of cement. Is there anything I can do to help speed up the removal process? Oh and I am broke, (a teacher's life) so it has to be done with what is in the house.

#7 ·
You limited my suggestions to what you have in the house---There is no way to remove those tiles without breaking at least one on each wall---once the grout is removed-

-use a utility knife if that's what you have---you will need to pry the tiles off the backer board--that's not likely to happen as the thinset or mastic may be stronger than the tile.

You are right--if your pan has failed the first two rows will need to be removed--But seriously,unless the tile is a historic antique,it will not be worth the effort.

Reactions: marnab2
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.