Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2012, 09:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

need help with kitchen layout (& soffit help!)

I am in the process of buying my first house. Below are a few picks if the hideous kitchen in it. I am having trouble figuring out exactly what I want to do. For starters, I do not have the cash to do a full $20k renovation, so I'm trying to figure out what we can do on our own and what we should try to have a professional take care of.

I have done a ton of researching on painting the cabinets on this forum and others and I think I have a decent plan for painting the cabinets.

The next thing I'm trying to figure out is the layout. I hate the peninsula and want to open the kitchen up by putting the peninsula cabinets along the back wall (the wall with the oven/microwave that is currently totally empty). I figure removing and relocating the cabinets will be easy enough. The big problem are the soffits. I don't know what to do with the soffit above the peninsula. I doubt there is any wiring or plumbing in there based on its location, but how hard is it to tear down and repair? I have no drywall experience.

Assuming I can get that soffit down, what should I do with the space that will be above the newly relocated cabinets? There is no soffit there now, but there is a soffit along the rest of that wall. It will look weird to have a soffit over only half the wall right? Any DIY work around solutions for that? I'm trying to figure out if there is some way to easily install a faux soffit above the newly relocated cabinets so it looks uniform with the rest of the cabinets.

Any other ideas anyone has on how to improve the look of the kitchen? I'm trying to figure out if there is any way to add molding to the cabinets but I can't figure out where the molding would go given the location of the cabinets & existing soffits. We are going to paint the cabinets white and do the antique glazing thing that is popular now. New dark hardwood floors are going down. Thinking about painting the walls a light blue.

Big_T is offline   Reply With Quote