Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-29-2012, 08:59 AM   #1

Share |

Need help

My new solid surface kitchen countertop was installed last week in our new house, not yet moved in. On final inspection of it today, there is a 2 inch black line on the front of the top, top is white. I saw one of the workers filling this in last week. Now from the side I can see where he has smoothed this down. I have not yet paid the the final payment for the work carried out on the kitchen and feel very upset that there is now a mark right in the middle of the top. I feel like asking for a new top, am I being unreasonable?????? The kitchen has cost around 9.000. I am new here and would love some feedback.

Hello to all

Chelle

Hjyd92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:09 AM   #2

Need help

Would you buy a new car with a big dent in the side? It's your money make them come back and fix it. If they can't fix it - make them replace it.

What is the countertop made of? Is it a line or a crack/seam? Picture would help.

joemontana16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:18 AM   #3

Need help

Hi that was quick, it was cracked I touched it before they started to repair it.

The top is similar to corrian, some sort of acrylic I think

Thanks
Chelle
Old 01-29-2012, 09:19 AM   #4

Need help

how does your wife feel about this..."if mama ain't happy nobody happy" call they back to aleast look at it then go from there.. you hold the key..PAYMENT..Remberber to be nice...
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:28 AM   #5

Need help

Wow you guys are so quick coming back on this, I am the Mama and yes I am very upset, annoyed, angry. I have emailed them asking nicely what they can do about it. I am supposed to me the owner of company tomorrow for final payment. My husband said it would be alright if it wasn't right in the middle as its just below the hob and in plain sight. Will take photo tomorrow when I am over there.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:33 AM   #6

Need help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hjyd92 View Post
Wow you guys are so quick coming back on this, I am the Mama and yes I am very upset, annoyed, angry. I have emailed them asking nicely what they can do about it. I am supposed to me the owner of company tomorrow for final payment. My husband said it would be alright if it wasn't right in the middle as its just below the hob and in plain sight. Will take photo tomorrow when I am over there.
hi mama if it was cracked"send it back" we don't allow damaged goods to be installed then repaired..not a good policy not what you paid for...ben
Old 01-29-2012, 09:36 AM   #7

Need help

ok your mad... I would be too...but remember to be nice ..that just eats up contractors ....
Old 01-29-2012, 09:38 AM   #8

Need help

Old 01-29-2012, 04:30 PM   #9

Need help

From one Mama to another, if it's new there should be no repairs needed. It should be perfect. Don't settle for less. You want to look at it and smile not look at it and frown. I agree with the previous poster about being nice about it no matter how angry you are. Just don't be a push over. Plant those feet firmly on the ground and don't give em an inch to weasel out of it.
TNShutterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:50 AM   #10

Need help

They did the wrong thing.
1st off they KNEW there was a defect.
2nd they probably covered it up without talking to you 1st.

You know the right thing to do. This is a cost of doing business wrong, they have to cover that cost as you did nothing wrong.

Withhold payment.
Tell them why and give them time to replace the defective part. _IF_ you signed a conract and they refer back to that, then give them a period of time to fix it or it'll be replaced and they'll be held for the costs.

Once I bought something and the salesman carried one box out to my car and put it in for me, he left quickly and I noticed a tear in the box. The product was damaged and when I went back inside he was nowhere to be found. I was ignored by all the people in the store, I finally got it replaced and they nearly got a fight. I've never been back to shop there.

Businesses need to learn... YOU need to teach...
KarlJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:35 AM   #11

Need help

Hi Karljay,

Thanks so much for your input, realy do appreciate it. I have withheld payment until I am satisfied that all is put right. I have explained that I have photos of before and after. Have been very nice, no shouting, no crross words. I know they do not want to replace it so I just have to wait and see.

The workman was there today sorting a few other minor things for me, couple of doors not soft closing and glass doors need to stop at 90* as to not smash into extractor fan. Anyway the more I think about it the more I know that I brought the kitchen thinking it was perfect, not having to have anything repaired when I haven't even used it yet. You guys have just confirmed what is right and I know I just need to be strong and stand my ground. They haven't said exactly what they are going to do about it yet but, I have said I won't pay untill its changed or they can make it look brand new.

So pretty stressed, but keeping my cool