Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-01-2010, 05:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need advice/tips on tearing out old laminate countertops

I attempted to get a small bar countertop off 2 days ago. The screws were easy but it seems it is glued on the 4 corners and I dont want to destroy my cabinets. The only the contractor did well in my house was to glue the countertops and now I an having a problem getting them off. If I cut through the top and work on it that way will it be eaasier or is their some good way to get the glue to turn loose? I have 2 bathrooms and a kitchen to do over the next 3 weeks so any suggestions to speed this process would be appreciated.

Bevgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:20 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,002

Bev,
If you can see inside the cabinets, you may want to try one of the vibrating type tools that just became very popular that imitate the Fein tool. If I read your post right, you took out the screws from underneath but the installer put some glue on the top corners of the cabinet. I would try to position the tool to just cut through the glue. It takes a very thin kerf with it, so it shouldn't damage the cabinet.
Mike Hawkins

firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:38 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

try a heat gun and see if it will soften the adhesive to where you can drive a small tool/ wedge between top and cabinet
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:30 PM   #4

Thanks. I am going Sunday and will try. I did pick up an inexpensive recrip saw. The blade is small enough to get in the space between the countertop and the base cabinet. The corner block is small so I may be able to simply cut the top loose. At least it is not the entire top. It is just the corners. The heat gun is also a great suggestin. I was considering using one to soften the adhesive on linoleum flooring in a bath that is going to be tiled.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:25 PM   #5

We did it. Got those suckers off. My son used a chisel and hammer to go between the blocks and tops and they came right off. No cabinet damage just Wall damage from the silicone and glue and I have already fixed that. New countertops going in as soon as they arrive. Thanks a ton for the suggestions. The DIY shows make it look so easy. Looks like they just remove the screwa and lift them off--LOL Not nearly that easy.