Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-02-2011, 02:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need advice on refinishing my kitchen

I just purchased my first house and the kitchen needs a bit of work. The house uses oil heat and electric appliances. It was built in 1964 and is very solid, I'm lead to believe that this is the original kitchen.

The boxes/frames are pretty solid but are outdated and need a bit of attention, especially the doors and drawers. I'm thinking of completely sanding/stripping the frames down bare, refinishing/staining them and adding new doors, drawers and hardware. I believe this would be the most cost effective route and I'd have some very nice and solid cabinets vs. what most current cabinets are made out of...would this be my best bet?

I've searched online for refinishing products and a source for doors but most of the websites were very vague and outdated. Could anyone direct me in the right direction?

Also, what would be the best way to strip/sand the frames? How do I tell what type of wood the frames are made out of so that I buy similarly constructed doors?

I'll also be re-tiling the kitchen floor, add a tile backsplash and new diy granite counter tops...Can anyone direct me to a reputable source for diy granite countertops?

Cobrakillert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:08 PM   #2
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

Welcome Cobra, to the best DIY'r site on the web.

The best way to determine wood species is the post some pics of what you are looking at, as far as doors, have you looked at KSI, or searched custom cabinet doors, there are many places to buy from, but I am sure you will get some guidance from folks here.

Stripping cabinets is definately a less expensive way to go, but it is alot of work and the end results may not yeild the look of new cabinets, especially if this is your first project.

Mark

Old 03-02-2011, 10:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrakillert View Post
I just purchased my first house and the kitchen needs a bit of work. The house uses oil heat and electric appliances. It was built in 1964 and is very solid, I'm lead to believe that this is the original kitchen.

The boxes/frames are pretty solid but are outdated and need a bit of attention, especially the doors and drawers. I'm thinking of completely sanding/stripping the frames down bare, refinishing/staining them and adding new doors, drawers and hardware. I believe this would be the most cost effective route and I'd have some very nice and solid cabinets vs. what most current cabinets are made out of...would this be my best bet?

I've searched online for refinishing products and a source for doors but most of the websites were very vague and outdated. Could anyone direct me in the right direction?

Also, what would be the best way to strip/sand the frames? How do I tell what type of wood the frames are made out of so that I buy similarly constructed doors?

I'll also be re-tiling the kitchen floor, add a tile backsplash and new diy granite counter tops...Can anyone direct me to a reputable source for diy granite countertops?
It would be a good idea if you posted pictures of what you have in the kitchen now. This way we can see what you have instead of just guessing.
DIY granite counters is an unlikely scenario.
There's a company in Pennsylvania, called Keystone that made doors and drawer fronts for my kitchen. They did and excellent job.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:36 AM   #4

After doing some research, I think I may paint the cabinets (as well as new doors, drawers and hardware) instead of stripping and staining. I think this will be easiest and yield the most uniform and best results

Besides new doors, I would also need new drawers and hardware (sliders, etc.) The original drawers are on a basic tongue/groove sliding set-up which is in dire need of replacing. If I purchase new doors, would I be able to purchase new drawers/sliders and whatever else is needed to update the drawer set-up?

Also, what would be the best route to go about painting the cabinets? I plan to go with a nice rich espresso type color with stainless hardware.

As far as the diy granite countertops, any recommendations?

Below is a pic of the kitchen from the sellers ad in it's current state as well as a pic of cabinets painted similarly to what I would like to do...
Attached Thumbnails
Need advice on refinishing my kitchen-photo-2.jpg   Need advice on refinishing my kitchen-photo-1-.jpg  
Old 03-03-2011, 02:36 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

My new kitchen has cabinets more or less like yours.

I'm using minwax "antique furniture refinisher" to take off the old finish, putting on a little stain, and then an oil finish on top. The minwax product works really well. I did a sample with stain, and it seems to be working too. Painting would be less work, but I wouldn't probably paint overtop of what you have.

Yes, you can pay someone to custom build drawers that will fit in the old openings that you can put the old fronts onto, but they're kind of expensive.

Another alternative would be to repair or replace the existing drawer boxes and install new drawer slides.

The kind like this are easy to retrofit:
http://www.p-wholesale.com/cn-pro/21...01-781015.html

My wife is wanting to replace the hinges and handles, but I don't know if we'll find anything nicer with the same holes. Especially the overlay hinges. Not a lot of options there.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:14 PM   #6

You can build drawer boxes pretty easily with just a table saw.
I'd use full extension drawer guides. When I built my cabinets, I got full extension ball bearing guides from Custom Service Hardware for under $9.00 a pair. I think I bought about 36 sets.
If you're going to paint these cabinets, you'll need to clean them exceptionally well as the paint will not stick well to a dirty cabinet.
If you can spray them, it will look a lot better then a brush.
Ron
Old 03-04-2011, 09:12 AM   #7

Ron5619: I'm actually on Long Island as well, I tried PM'ing you but cannot find the PM feature for some reason, and I'm on message boards all the time (maybe because I'm using my phone for now).

I'll definitely need new drawers as mine are shot and one has already been replaced with a cheap metal drawer!

I've been looking at the Barker Door website and they're stuff looks pretty nice and decently priced. How do I figure out what type of would to use?
Any other suggestions for a door/drawer/hardware source?

I've been reading up on the Rustoleum Cabinet Transformation kit and it looks pretty promising...anyone have any experience with it?

When I do paint the cabinets I do agree that spraying them may be best, what would work best to spray them?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm new at this but am very capable and look forward to building myself a budget friendly nice kitchen
Old 03-04-2011, 09:20 AM   #8
Coatings Nerd

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
I've been reading up on the Rustoleum Cabinet Transformation kit and it looks pretty promising...anyone have any experience with it?

When I do paint the cabinets I do agree that spraying them may be best, what would work best to spray them?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm new at this but am very capable and look forward to building myself a budget friendly nice kitchen
Copy and paste from another thread, sorry, im too lazy to retype it

Wash and degrease them, TSP works well for this. If they ever were polished, you'll want all that off of them.

Lightly sand them, then use a good "Bonding" primer. Benjamin Moore Fresh Start, Insulx Stix, or XIM would be my choice for primer. There are others out there, but these I have experience with.

For a finish, I always recommend oil. You will get the best finish with oil, especially if you plan on brushing and rolling. Benjamin Moore actually has an oil finish that is soap and water cleanup. Its called "Advance". Great product. Slow drying for nice leveling ( minimal brush and roll marks, which is what you want )

The only drawback to using oil is that the job will take longer. You need 24 hours between coats. It'll be worth it in the end though

Benjamin Moore Advance

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/bmpsweb..._productsspecs

Benjamin Moore, Sikkens, TWP, PPG, Airless sales and service

Last edited by NCpaint1; 03-04-2011 at 09:21 AM. Reason: added link
NCpaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Ron5619: I'm actually on Long Island as well, I tried PM'ing you but cannot find the PM feature for some reason, and I'm on message boards all the time (maybe because I'm using my phone for now).

I'll definitely need new drawers as mine are shot and one has already been replaced with a cheap metal drawer!

I've been looking at the Barker Door website and they're stuff looks pretty nice and decently priced. How do I figure out what type of would to use?
Any other suggestions for a door/drawer/hardware source?

You need a certain number of posts to email direct. I think it's 10?
You can do a search for drawer guides for a list of suppliers if you didn't like the one I use.
If your painting the doors, buy a paint grade wood the door company sells.
I have a Fuji HLVP sprayer for cabinets. You would just rent one for your project unless you plan to do a lot of spraying.

Amazon has a good price on these.
Ron
Whoa, that's a big picture. Actually life size. Sorry, I don't know how to make it smaller.

Last edited by Ron6519; 03-04-2011 at 09:46 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
KailaM (04-26-2011)
Old 03-04-2011, 11:50 AM   #10

I think I'd rather go with a solid wood door so the grain can come through a little bit. If the grain comes through on the frames it would look weird with a totally smooth door.

Spraying may be a bit difficult if the cabinets are still mounted. I'd rather not dismount them as they've been there since 1964 and who knows what would happen if I start taking them off the wall.

Should I pick my own BM products or would the Rustoleum Cabinet Transformation kit suffice? I want to go with whatever will give the most straightforward, durable and best results
Old 03-04-2011, 01:15 PM   #11

Quote:
I think I'd rather go with a solid wood door so the grain can come through a little bit. If the grain comes through on the frames it would look weird with a totally smooth door.

Spraying may be a bit difficult if the cabinets are still mounted. I'd rather not dismount them as they've been there since 1964 and who knows what would happen if I start taking them off the wall.

Should I pick my own BM products or would the Rustoleum Cabinet Transformation kit suffice? I want to go with whatever will give the most straightforward, durable and best results
The sprayer category I mentioned can spray the cabinets in place with a little masking. As for the wood, I don't know what your cabinets are made from. The pictures are too far away and too dark to clearly tell.
If you paint them, and do it correctly, there will be no wood grain showing.
I have no familiarity with the Rustoleum product. NCPaint1 has more experience on paint products and has left you his advice.
Ron
Old 04-21-2011, 01:39 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 75

I had a similar situation when moving into our 70's-ish home. I sanded/painted the cabinets with good results. They were outdated but still solid and needed some minor simple repair. There are some before/after photos in my profile if that'll help. I was going to sand them down and re-stain them and I did do that on one to see how it would look, I didn't like it that's why I ended up just painting them. I'm very happy I did, they're holding up well after 4+ years and kids banging the heck out of them I do love that dark color you're wanting to go with for your cabinets! You could always consider painting them????? Oh, wanted to add- I had that exact brick too, ended up painting it a sage green. All the painting really brightened up the room, not sure if it's for everyone though, it is a cheap way out doesn't look nearly as nice as new cabinets etc.
annie68164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:12 PM   #13
I can do it......I think!

Rewards Points: 25
Send a message via Yahoo to MovedTooMuch

CobraKillert,

I am doing the Rustoleum Cabinet Transformations kit now. So far so good. The glaze step seems to be the critical step. Messing up the glaze messes up the whole look. I have a few more steps to go. I am doing the Rustic color over old flat panel cabinets (like totally flat!). Here are my initial thoughts:

1) I am concerned about the durability. I have dinged the base coat a few times. It seems easy to damage. I am going to apply a 2nd coat of the clear protective coat.
2) The glaze seems pretty mandatory. The base coat is really a flat paint. If you don't use the glaze, you might as well buy paint.

I'll try to get some pictures later. More to come ....
MovedTooMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:38 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 250

First pic is what the cabinets looked like prior to me using the Transformation kit.

Second pic is the first coat of bonding primer on some of the doors.

Third pic is a door after some glaze on it.

Fourth pic is a finished frame.

Fifth pic is a finished door.

sixth pic is a finished frame.

I am a professional painter and have a good bit of experience with painting and refinishing cabinets but the customer insisted on using this product and was going to have his daughter do it if I did not want the job. My initial proposal was to high and so we negotiated with his daughter taking all the doors down removing the hardware and would also be responsible for putting the new hardware on and hanging the doors. That is why there are no finished pics with the door on.

I told the customer up front I had never used this process before but was confident I could produce the desired results.

From a diy stand point it can be an ambitious process, if you follow the specs you are going around everything 5 times, 6 if you put a second coat of clear on them.
Attached Thumbnails
Need advice on refinishing my kitchen-photo0074.jpg   Need advice on refinishing my kitchen-photo0077.jpg   Need advice on refinishing my kitchen-photo0082.jpg   Need advice on refinishing my kitchen-photo0086.jpg   Need advice on refinishing my kitchen-photo0091.jpg  

Need advice on refinishing my kitchen-photo0093.jpg  

Last edited by Workaholic; 06-28-2011 at 11:40 PM.
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:47 PM   #15

Sean, how did you apply the coatings?