Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-28-2010, 10:34 AM   #1
Military Mom of 4

Share |

My final idea - does this look ok?

I'm horrible at choosing colors - I can do the gruntwork but color coordinator I am not. My husband has an excellent eye for these things but he's so busy he hasn't had the time for anything around the house. All he told me was "I want to put my ceramic chickens in there and have a 'lodge' feeling"

LOL - gee, that helped. So - good, bad, neh, puke, wow?

Flooring and counters will be medium-dark tone - but slightly different from eachother. The counters will likely be darker than the floor.
Cabinets will be medium-tone
Walls will be two-tone (heavy texture) both on the light side.
The Island will house the dishwasher and a set of drawers.

I haven't decided what I want to do with the upper cabinets - this is a whole wall of them, but I might do away with them and just have the angled cabinet in the corner - or none at all. ( hate upper cabinets)
The pantries on either side of the fridge will hold dishes, food stuffs and the microwave and other kitchen appliances.

But, focusing on the colors - is this in the right direction for a 'hunting lodge' with 'ceramic chickens'
*edit = I redid the kitchen idea and posted it in reply #6*

Last edited by Snav; 01-29-2010 at 04:54 PM.
Snav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:21 PM   #2
Learning by Doing

I'd say this absolutely screams hunting chicken! Nice mock up. Did you use google's program?

I think you should call it your Rambo Rooster kitchen, but I'm really into alliteration this week.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:02 PM   #3
Military Mom of 4

Hah! Thanks

Yes, I used Sketchup - love it. Quick and simple, perfect for my needs and there wasn't a learning curve (unlike Gimp - which I use to use for things like this).

Now that I have success at choosing a layout and colors I'm done! This part of the work is what's so exhausting for me - I'm best with a sledge and a drill.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:11 PM   #4

Don't forget a hood/vent for over the stove.

I don't like not having upper cabinets on either side of the window above the sink. It looks like something is missing since the other wall has uppers.

I would also get a cabinet above the refrigerator that is the same depth as the two pantries on either side.

I wouldn't have a filler/soffit above the upper cabinets.

I like the wall color, but I think the floor, cabinets, and counter are to close in color. It all seems to blend together and nothing stands out.

All that being said, I'm not a lodge with ceramic chickens kind of guy, so are styles might be totally different.
ConstantChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:54 AM   #5

Looks nice
My last kitchen I bought taller cabinets that went to the ceiling
The top space was used for those items you use once a year
You can never have enough storage space
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:32 PM   #6
Military Mom of 4

Ok, it took some number crunching but I redid the model

I changed the upper cabinets, made the pantry surround all 2' deep (and the individual pantries are 18" wide instead of 2' - to allow the lower base cabinets around the stove to be wider, giving more counter room for cooking purpose)
I put two angled cabinets above - and lifted the center upper cabinet (over the stove) to the proper hight and put in the hood, balanced it out.

I think it looks much better and gives a more appealing look as well as more cabinets overhead.

The wall with no cabinets will be for the window and my wall-hanging pans and other kitchen tidbits that I prefer to have up instead of put away.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:31 PM   #7

I think that looks a lot better.
ConstantChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 04:45 PM   #8

Big improvement
Now if this is a year round house what some people do is have the cabinets on either side of the fridge come out even with the face of the fridge
The fridge door is then covered with a matching cabinet door
Old 01-29-2010, 05:03 PM   #9
Military Mom of 4

Thanks - I think that's pretty much it as far as mapping out the design goes. For weeks I tried to come up with something on paper- but hand sketching is so limited, tedious and slow -once I started putting some of those designed into the program I realized they weren't going to work at all.

I've seen blended surrounds in photos and always thought it looked nice - I'll play with that idea, too, and see how it looks.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:16 PM   #10

It can be expensive to do the fridge door
If we did it I'm afraid 97 year old grandmother would not be able to find the fridge
Old 01-30-2010, 09:52 AM   #11
Military Mom of 4

Yeah, it does cost quite a bit - I read up on it.

I think I'll make the surround flush (close to it, anyway) with the fridge, though - by bringing it forward to a depth of 33" - this will allow the doors of the fridge to swing freely.

My fridge isn't ugly, and it's fairly new - if it was ugly I'd be all over paneling it to blend it in
Old 01-30-2010, 11:13 AM   #12

I'm actually making the door to the dining room bigger to allow our new fridge to open correctly
Definitely make sure the doors can open wide enough to get the shelves & bins out
Old 01-30-2010, 01:22 PM   #13
Military Mom of 4

Ah - good point, I'll be extra careful to plan for the proper opening of all doors and so forth, our current kitchen has problems and I difinitely don't want to design any of my own!

One thing I might change is the counter on the island - I was going to go with a straight edge and extend it past the corner, but I think that would defeat the purpose - and give on 4', enough for 2 stools.
If I extend it the 1' and curve the edge it'll be more functional - allowing 3 or 4 stools at the counter without cutting into the dining-areal very much.

I might also craft this with a drop-down ledge that hindged into place since floor-room is a key concern.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:30 PM   #14

I think it looks nice. The only issue might be the colors on cab/floor that are very similar.

Also, what software did you use for the pictures?
mburgess44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 03:53 PM   #15
Military Mom of 4

Yeah - the color-matching since it's wood/wood is awkward ground for me. I have a horrible eye for contrasting and matching colors!

Fortunately I only have to decide on the flooring color (since it will be pre-fabricated - already finished) and the countertop.
The cabinets and walls can be decided when I get to that point of installation and completion - thankfully I couldn't imagine, with my poor color-eye - having to choose everything upfront.
I found a countertop and flooring that seems to coordinate (they have the same colors - but in different amounts. So the counter looks darker than the floor, actually) - but I've yet to get a sample (we're snowed in) so I'm not sure about that, yet.

All I know for sure is that I don't want *super* dark floors or cabinets - that's my current kitchen. The floor is a dark mottled brown and the cabinets are actually a dark funky redish brown color - totaly ugly. So that takes 2 colors off my list of choices, at least.