Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-27-2014, 03:54 PM   #1

Share |

My Bathroom Remodel- First Time

Hello! This is my first attempt at a remodel. I am quite nervous. Hope I didnt get in over my head.

My wife and I just recently purchased our first home together. This is by far the worst room of them all. We absolutely hate it!!

My plan is a walk in tiled shower, new vanity/sink, mirror, lighting, paint, tile floor and probably a round toilet other than the current oval.

For the shower pan, I plan on buying the goof proof products. Not sure about the vanity and lighting. We are probably gonna use an impervious tile. We were gonna go with travertine but not sure since it seems porous.

Any and all feedback is welcome! Thanks for looking. I keep this thread constantly updated. Thanks! :D

Here is my progress so far today...just started

tcoche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 04:18 PM   #2

You got rid of the mirror above toilet?? I always wondered what I look like taking a leak If you have any questions lets us know.

JustinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 04:21 PM   #3

Showers need a 2" drain, is this a slab?
No clue what the "goof proof" products are.
Travertine is the last tile I would choose for a bathroom, as you stated it's porous and brittle.
You need ceramic or porcelain.
http://www.schluter.com/4625.aspx
tcoche (04-28-2014)
Old 04-27-2014, 04:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinK View Post
You got rid of the mirror above toilet?? I always wondered what I look like taking a leak If you have any questions lets us know.

Hahaha!!! Yeah unfortunately it had to go

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Showers need a 2" drain, is this a slab?

No clue what the "goof proof" products are.

Travertine is the last tile I would choose for a bathroom, as you stated it's porous and brittle.

You need ceramic or porcelain.

http://www.schluter.com/4625.aspx

Since I am a total newb. I am quite worried about getting the correct slope. Goof proof is a product that assists with the slope, shower curb and some other things. They also have the product for sloping towards the front. So I dont have to dig up that cement to put the drain in the center.

Yes! It is a cement slab. Is that bad?? Now I'm nervous.

Old 04-27-2014, 11:39 PM   #5

Update!

Got the vanity out and removed the linoleum. Still need to scrape off the remainder of adhesive. Gettin pretty bare in the bathroom.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:24 AM   #6
DIY staff

Just a suggestion--the old drywall looks like it is in rough shape----you might be better off finishing the gut and removing the rest of the drywall---

that would allow you to add new lights--fan --plumbing stubs and such without needing to patch the drywall--
garlicbreath (04-28-2014), mrs fix it (04-28-2014), MTN REMODEL LLC (05-03-2014), tcoche (04-28-2014)
Old 04-28-2014, 07:08 AM   #7

A lot of people have some really good advice one these boards, they talked me off the cliff a few times now. By the way, isn't it amazing where they will put a medicine cabinet? Lol.

Mary Jane Baker, Silk painter and general handy-woman
mrs fix it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:51 PM   #8

Yeah i am totally getting rid of that medicine cabinet. I hate it
The Following User Says Thank You to tcoche For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (04-28-2014)
Old 04-28-2014, 07:06 PM   #9

Update!

Attempted to fix a leaky faucet i guess. Its really strange. Nothing leaked in this bathroom until i removed everything.

The sink had a slow leak. No matter how tight i tightened those water shutoff valves. They still had a slow leak. Then I tried to hook just the faucet back up to stop leak. That didnt work. Off to lowes I go for new pressure water shutoff valves.

I turned the water off to the house and removed the old valves. Installed the new metal valves pictured below. Fixed the leak there. But now it moved the drip over to the tub. Strangest damn thing! Anyone have an idea what is goin on here??

My next job tomorrow morning is to eliminate that mixer valve for the tub. Since I dont need the tub faucet anymore. Then I'd like to move the mixer valve up to accomodate just a shower control lever for water.

Anyone have a good idea for height for the water control lever?? I'd like to have it average height. Thanks!!

New leak out bottom faucet..

Old shutoff valves...

New shutoff valves...
Old 04-30-2014, 08:36 PM   #10

Update!

Sooo excited!!

Rather than ordering from homedepot.com and waiting til 5/12 to receive it. I got the schluter system from a local store...Today!!! Woot woot!!

They also price matched to homedepot and even beat their price by 20 bucks...suck on that homedepot! :D

I went with the off center drain. Cuz i have a cement slab. Dont want to tear up cement. Too much work.

Here is proof!
Old 05-03-2014, 10:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Just a suggestion--the old drywall looks like it is in rough shape----you might be better off finishing the gut and removing the rest of the drywall---

that would allow you to add new lights--fan --plumbing stubs and such without needing to patch the drywall--
I totally agree with you, mike, I would tear the rest of the drywall off if nothing else you can inspect plumbing and electrical plus you will have a better finish with new drywall to tape and paint.
And you said you were removing the glue from the floor? If you go back with ceramic you will have to put down a backer board before the tile any way
scottktmrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:15 PM   #12

Remodeling a house’s bathroom is a long process that can take months. A method of remodeling one’s bathroom that is quickly becoming extremely popular is doing it as eco - friendly as possible and helping preserve the environment and the cost of the Bathroom Remdelling depends upon you that how much you can spent on.I did remodelling of my bathroom and it cost $20,000 and it took 6 months to Complete this hard work.

pete viti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:52 AM   #13

Got more work done finally!

Completely gutted the bathroom. Reworked the copper piping and valve/shower head placement. I ended up exchanging the off-centered kerdi drain system for the centered version. I realized my valve and shower head were not centered with the drain. Now they are!

Marked the drain and made the cuts

Purchased this from lowes...made life wayyy easier

Got'r done!

I purchased the needed schedule 40 abs pipe from lowes. Got a p-trap for under the shower drain.

Any recommendations for setting proper 1/4" slope?? also how to bury the pipe?? Should i back fill with dirt and gravel i removed. Pack that down on top of pipe then cement?? Or just lay the pipe on the ground and pour cement directly over it?? What would you do??

Thanks!

Last edited by tcoche; 05-13-2014 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:28 AM   #14

Anyone have any advice to my question?? Thanks

"Any recommendations for setting proper 1/4" slope?? also how to bury the pipe?? Should i back fill with dirt and gravel i removed. Pack that down on top of pipe then cement?? Or just lay the pipe on the ground and pour cement directly over it?? What would you do??"
Old 05-20-2014, 09:38 AM   #15

Bed the pipe in gravel to the bottom of the existing slab. Then pour your new concrete.

If that's 14 guage wiring for the receptacle circuit its wrong. You should have a 20A circuit for the bathroom. Lights don't have to be on it but can be if the circuit doesn't leave the bathroom.

iminaquagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iminaquagmire For This Useful Post:
tcoche (05-20-2014)