Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-02-2010, 06:15 PM   #1
Tileguy

Share |

"Mud" What is it?

"MUD" - What is it?
Here's some information I posted to another ceramic tile site and I thought it would be beneficial to some people here also. Maybe it will help to clear up some confusion.

THINSET: is a form of tile adhesive, it comes two ways.
Modified and Unmodified, and those two ways also come in grey and white. There are more variations and more coming but this will give you the basic idea. Thinset is a portland cement type product.

MODIFIED THINSET: comes with all the necessary additives already in the bag and you add only water, nothing else. There are a variety of modified thinsets, as the price goes up the quality (additives) goes up.

UNMODIFIED THINSET: has no additives and you add water to it.
You can however include your own additives to make unmodified thinset into modified thinset and this method will result in a modified thinset that is in fact stronger than the basic modified thinset you buy in the bag.

DECK-MUD: is the cement product used to cast the preslope of a shower at 1/4" of slope per foot and also the final slope also at 1/4" per foot. It is made up of one part portland cement to four parts sand, nothing else. Usually you mix all of the components yourself.

FAT-MUD: is the same as 'deck-mud' but fat-mud also contains lime. Lime in the mixture is required for vertical surfaces such as curbs and dams and walls. Fat-mud is usually mixed at one part portland one part lime four parts sand and you mix all of the components yourself.

SANDMIX: is for these purposes the same thing as 'deck-mud' except you purchase sandmix already mixed in the bag, just ad water nothing else.

MORTAR MIX: is for these purposes the same thing as fat-mud except you purchase mortarmix already mixed in the bag, just add water nothing else. The lime is already there for you.

ADDITIVES: can be a variety of latexs or polymers or whatevers and they are usually product specific meaning they are only compatible with recommended products and shouldn't necessarily be mixed with other products helter-skelter whenever the moods strike.

SLC's (SELF LEVELLING COMPOUNDS): Have a very specific recipe and already contain all of the necessary additives. SLC's get mixed with a measured amount of water only and you never add anything else to the mix. You never tamper with SLC's.

PATCHING COMPOUNDS: are also available in a variety of mixes and are used to make repairs and corrections but usually only require water and they are formulated to stick and stay with the surface to which they are applied. Patching products come in both portland cement styles and gypsum styles. ONLY portland cement styles of patching compounds are suitable for ceramic tile projects. Gypsum based patching products should never be co-phased with tile installation setting materials. NEVER.

It is not wise to concoct your own recipes. Just because you have something left-over from before, to think that adding some foriegn additive to any powdered product will "beef-it-up" is foolish. In some cases this random mixing is totally counter-productive and will ruin the product and void its original purpose.

I know this is confusing information. All of the above products are unfortunately referred to as "MUD" in the tile trade. People familiar with the trade usually know which "mud" is being talked about depending on the phase the job is in.

When you refer to a particular product here please call it by its trade name not its generic name so we have some idea of what is being talked about.

-Bud Cline 5/06

Angelique (10-09-2013), BigJim (11-24-2010), bigjon (12-05-2011), deatra1994 (04-10-2014), federer (10-30-2010), Master Brian (09-01-2010), r0ckstarr (04-10-2013), This Old Spouse (02-25-2011), TravisBickle (08-16-2014)
Old 08-02-2010, 07:01 PM   #2

"Mud" What is it?

Great post Bud. Could you list some of the additives and what they are for?

Jim F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:54 PM   #3

"Mud" What is it?

Can you post which tiles go best with which "mud"? Or does it not make a difference?
AlyssaQB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:32 PM   #4

"Mud" What is it?

thanks bud....here's mud in your eye
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:13 AM   #5
Been at it for 45 years

"Mud" What is it?

Can this be pinned?
This Old Spouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:58 PM   #6
Tileguy

"Mud" What is it?

Quote:
Can this be pinned?
Nole comprendo!
Old 06-18-2011, 12:15 PM   #7
Learning by Doing

"Mud" What is it?

Nice info, Bud. Thanks.
Bud Cline (06-18-2011)
Old 03-22-2013, 05:57 AM   #8

"Mud" What is it?

thank you for the info bud :*
sydprosere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:31 AM   #9

"Mud" What is it?

can u explain what is FAT-MUD and DECK-MUD?
FL Contractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:36 AM   #10

"Mud" What is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Contractor View Post
can u explain what is FAT-MUD and DECK-MUD?

reading problem?
framer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:41 AM   #11

"Mud" What is it?

I assume this only applies to mud for setting tiles, otherwise you'd have to explain joint compound.
Dorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:08 AM   #12

"Mud" What is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
DECK-MUD: is the cement product used to cast the preslope of a shower at 1/4" of slope per foot and also the final slope also at 1/4" per foot. It is made up of one part portland cement to four parts sand, nothing else.
Well, as with "Sandmix", "just add water nothing else".

And of course drywall joint compound is also called mud.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:15 AM   #13

"Mud" What is it?

Bud -- This is a terrific article. I would like to repost it on my website. I would add information about you and a link to your business if you like. I'm not sure how to contact you because as a new member I can't send you a private message, so I hope you see this!
Angelique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:52 PM   #14

"Mud" What is it?

WOW!! You have shared a great article.. but what's the another name of MUD?? Any one knows that another name of MUD??
adamrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:14 AM   #15

"Mud" What is it?

Thanks Bud. Once again...great advice. It sure helps to have a mentor that gets right to the point. I know, I'll be referring to this again.

Ed911 is offline   Reply With Quote