Moving Kitchen Cabinets...suggestions? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-04-2010, 10:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 103

Moving kitchen cabinets...suggestions?

My wife and I are set to close next week on our first home. We will be replacing the old refrigerator with a new one, and I would like to increase the space for the fridge in the kitchen. When looking at the wall where the fridge goes, from left to right :

- 36" deep wall on left side of refrigerator
- 35 3/8" x 68 1/2" opening for refrigerator (cabinets over opening)
- lower cabinet/counter (laminate), and wall-mounted cabinet, approximately 24-30" wide, to right of opening
- Cabinets appear to be fastened to the studs by screws through the back.

I was able to get in the house last night to inspect the area.

- I am going to permanently remove the cabinets above the refrigerator, no problems there.
- I would like to move the cabinets/counter on the right over 2". Here are my questions :

1.) There is laminate wood flooring, which was installed up to, but not under, the lower cabinet. What is the best way to cut the 2" strip so I can shift the cabinet over? If possible, I would like to get this out in one piece so I can put it on the other side of the cabinet just to fill the space created on the other side by moving the cabinet.
2.) What is the best way to remove the lower cabinet/counter/backsplash? I don't mind repairing where the backsplash is removed, I would just like to remove it with as little damage to the wall as possible.
3.) I know the cabinet/counter is screwed to the studs from within the cabinet. I assume that the countertop is attached from below with screws (maybe some glue as well?)

Sorry for the lengthy post, I want to do this the right way, with as little damage as possible, and know that somebody on this forum can lend a little expertise and experience.

Thanks!

Advertisement

Durt Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 02:52 PM   #2

Bueller? Bueller?

Advertisement

Old 06-06-2010, 11:46 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Congrats on the house! Im sure you'll be back many more times now you have your own place

First off I think a little more information is needed.
1. What tools do you have available? Im thinking the best way to cut and possibly reuse on the other side would be one of the oscillating tools like the Fein Multimaster. That should make a nice smooth cut that could allow you to reuse. A circ saw with a fine tooth blade set a very shallow depth may also work but wont get close to the wall so no reuse available.

2. What is behind the backsplash/what is the backsplash made of? Are you wanting to try and save backsplash or just replace with new? If its tile on drywall then you may end up having to just replace the drywall, score all around it and bust it out, or replace with a cement board if going to retile.

3. What is the counter made of? Granite, Tile, Laminate? Im going to assume laminate and if so it should be screwed down to filler strips (1x4's) that are attached to the cabinet. Pull the drawer out and climb inside you should see. Cabinets should also be screwed to wall, Look towards the top and bottom and with counter off for anyother screws. I would say probably 2 per stud, 1 top and 1 bottom, so 4-6 attaching to wall maybe.

Hope this helps, give us a lil more info and we can give ya better plan. Good luck, enjoy your new home!

*edit* A pic would also be very helpful if you can get
Cmudr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:21 AM   #4

Thanks for the response, to answer your questions :

1.) I have a multi-max, circular saws, jig saw, chisels...I have most common woodworking/cutting tools. I think the oscillating tool is a good idea, I hadn't thought of that.

2.) Backsplash is laminate (same as counter), on drywall. I couldn't tell by looking at it how it was attached, probably glued on.

3.) Counter is laminate. When I was measuring everything last week I did look in the cabinets. The cabinet is screwed to the studs at the top, counter is attached from below w/ screws. When I looked at the upper cabinets, they appeared to be secured at the top using 2 screws into the studs. I didn't see any screws at the bottom of the cabinet on the inside, I figure they're probably are some in there somewhere, or on the underside, I just need to find them (there were still dishes in there so my view was a little obstructed).

Was not able to get a picture, I didn't have my camera with me. The house is still occupied and I unfortunately until we close I can't get back in whenever I want.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:04 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

Sounds like you'll be ok once you get in and actually start working on it. Best of luck on closing soon!

1. That multimax would be the best way to cut it without damaging the laminate too much or the subfloor.

2. The backsplash you mentioned is it just the 4" one on the counter? If so then its easily removed. Most are attached with caulk at all the seams and maybe some on the back. Take a sharp knife and score all around the edge of it to cut any caulk there is and then just carefully pry it away. You may damage the drywall but it wont take much to fix that.

3. The base cabs were installed before the counter so once its removed it may be easier to reach the screws. The uppers could also be fixed by the lip on the topside too to help hide screws (depending on ceiling height), grab a ladder and check above if you can too.

It sounds like you'll have a good habdle on it once you get in there. Good luck, hope everything goes well
Cmudr1 is offline   Reply With Quote