Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-12-2012, 08:54 AM   #1

Share |

Moving downstairs bathroom upstairs

Hi, we've just bought a house with d/stairs bathroom. Small 1920s 3 bed terrace.
This is fine for us, but considering re-sale in future i know some people wont even consider a home with d/stairs bath.
Upstairs, there are 3 bedrooms. Front one is large, with two windows, back bed#1 is small-ish with 1 window (not the smallest i've ever seen though), back bed#2 is large, with one window AND with en-suite!
To me, the en-suite is ridiculous. The front bed with 2 windows is clearly the master. The ensuite is badly done (very badly) and more to the point, is ONLY accesible THROUGH back bed#2. Meaning everyone else will have to go down stairs and i don't want my child to have an en-suite as she's a toddler to have access to taps etc.
SO.... Although i'm happy to use the downstairs bathroom for now, the plan is to move it.... ONLY if it would be finacially viable. We dont want to spend more on moving it than we'd gain in value.
Additional info;
If it were moved upstairs i'd keep downstairs loo/sink to have a w/c on the lower level. The space gained by removing the bath woud mean i could create a larger kitchen/diner as have no dining room or area at present.
However, i'd have to create a mini double door scenario to ensure the loo wasn't straight off the kitchen, and my back door is there too, so essentially it would be a door to the back door and loo door- not sure if thats guna be too much on a small house.
Upstairs, i could make room for a small bathroom by taking some of the space from the large back bedroom and existing ensuite. It'd make that bedroom a single (though not tiny) and by knocking down/erecting some internal walls (not affecting any load baring walls- just ones that have been put up to create ensuite etc).
HOWEVER... The bathroom would be sandwiched in the middle of the house with NO windows. Can't put one in as it's mid terrace.
There must already be plumbing for the ensuite, so could poss extend existing pipes etc, i'm just concerned that it would be hard to ventilate from the centre of the house????
Not sure whether any of this is sensible/viable/cost effective.
To anyone suggesting that we use the loft, this space is already taken as will be a storage room (but done nicely, potential office etc).
Any advice would be much appreciated... Or are we better leaving well enough alone and simply ripping out ensuite and trying to fit just a loo and sink in place of full bathroom??
...But as doing that would still involve walls etc, seems silly not to squeeze in a bath/shower and have more space downstairs! Help!
Thanks in advance!
WiseOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:10 AM   #2

As additional info we paid 101k... We instantly had to outlay a furthe 4k for boiler and radiators. We still have lots of decorating to do (whole house needs decorated, so guessing that'll cost about 2k min (only done living room so far) plus we need to spend about 4k on drive (as we need to first buy the land out front of our home from council). Houses here of tend to go for about 120k (one for sale next street up for that) with potential for a bit more if it's more appealing which is why were considering moving bathroom. I don't want to overspend vs. the return.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:15 AM   #3

All anyone here is going to be able to do is guess when replying on this one.
Really should have an on site licenced plumber come take a look.
One issue you may have to deal with in a house that old is the old steel supplys and cast iron drains that really should be replaced.
Your going to need permits for all of this also.
And anyway you do it, DIY or having a plumber do it this is not going to be a cheap job to do. And no one here is going to be able to even guess an exact or even a ball park price on what it would cost, where not there to see it.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:38 AM   #4

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
All anyone here is going to be able to do is guess when replying on this one.
Really should have an on site licenced plumber come take a look.
One issue you may have to deal with in a house that old is the old steel supplys and cast iron drains that really should be replaced.
Your going to need permits for all of this also.
And anyway you do it, DIY or having a plumber do it this is not going to be a cheap job to do. And no one here is going to be able to even guess an exact or even a ball park price on what it would cost, where not there to see it.
It's not so much a price am after as i know that's impossible to give via chatroom, i just want to know if it's worth the cost (which will obviously not be pennies) and the hassle on a house where in this area we are capped to getting a max of about 125k? I just can't decide if it's worth it all. One day i think yes, the next i think no. Advice from someone who has been there and done that (or not as the case may be) would be ideal.
It's pretty much a good area for a 1st time buy, as the houses r=are ex-council and i'm just not sure how bothered people are about having their 1st home having a 'perfect' layout ie. upstairs bath. About 1/3rd of houses on the estate have downstairs bathrooms and obviously peopple are living in them, i just don't kow how well they sell vs. upstairs bathrooms, i need help deciding what's worth it, especially as at the very least i wana move just the upstairs loo to remove ensuite, make it accesible for all to avoid trips downstairs in night!
Old 10-12-2012, 09:42 AM   #5

I'd be talking this over with a local real estate or whatever you call them over the pond. There going to know what sells and what needs to be changed to make it sell.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (10-12-2012)
Old 10-12-2012, 09:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption
I'd be talking this over with a local real estate or whatever you call them over the pond. There going to know what sells and what needs to be changed to make it sell.
Yeah, my friend is an estate agent and he said move it upstairs... Guess perhaps i'm trying to avoid doing it as i'm happy with it downstairs but like i say, it's resale i have to think about so i think it's going to require some more thought on my part...
Old 10-12-2012, 07:25 PM   #7

Buying a house that old , you just have to consider the electric, the plumbing, the heating/ac first. The rest is keeping up with the Jones's.
bernieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernieb
Buying a house that old , you just have to consider the electric, the plumbing, the heating/ac first. The rest is keeping up with the Jones's.
My father-in-law is an electrician and i have a friend who is a plumber etc so i'm more inclined to consider it than i would be, though that's because i know there is already plumbing close by for the ensuite! I think we will do eventually, but were in no hurry and it can be last on the to-do list..!!