Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-15-2011, 04:38 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Moisture-proofing kerdi shower walls

I'm renovating a 3-wall shower using the Schluter Shower ST kit. I'm finished re-doing the plumbing, sub-floor and so on, and I'm ready to start with the thin-set and kerdi.

The question I have is about moisture-proofing the shower wall where the sliding door hardware is attached. The Schluter instructions stress that every hole in the kerdi has to be sealed, and they provide special kerdi products to seal the shower head and control. What about the screws that secure the door to the wall? Ordinarily, I'd just use some silicone.

It just doesn't seem to make sense to carefully seal the whole shower, and then just drill holes in it.

I appreciate any help I can get!.......................Ted

tdarlingt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 06:06 PM   #2
Tileguy

Usually the only screw holes you have relating to a shower door installation are going to be under the door rails. The rails are then caulked as usual. I don't understand the problem.

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 06:11 PM   #3

Yeah, maybe you're right. I guess with silicone under the rails and around the screws, there's not much chance of a problem.

Thanks!
tdarlingt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, kerdi, reno, shower