Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-06-2014, 05:48 PM   #1

Share |

Mastic used for setting mesh tape in tub surround - help!

Basically in the same situation as the poster that started this thread:
Mastic/thinset bathtub/shower surround?
I installed DensShield, siliconed corners and joints, bought ceramic tile 6"x8" and a tub of Mapei Type 1 tile adhesive (please don't shoot me - I read about what you guys think about that only afterwards) based on the buildGP spec sheet as the Mapei product is labelled Ansi 136.1 then embedded (skimmed over) the 2" fiberglass mesh tape in that.

Oops!

Before I started tiling we decided to buy some accent 1"x1" Cristallo glass tiles (12x12 sheets with film face) and I got a bag of Mapei Adesilex P10 premium non-sag mortar for glass tile, only to discover that it is not for glass tiles with a decorative backing (mine have a white "coat" on the back) and is also only Ansi 118.4 when mixed with water (Keraply has to be used to make it Ansi 118.11, which doubles the cost). Researching all that led me to the above thread (and others) basically showing me I was not being very clever in using the mastic.

Long story short, I contacted the glass tile distributor (Olympia Tile) and they recommend 66 Flexlite premium non-sag mortar by Flextile, which is Ansi 118.4 and Ansi 118.11 just mixed with water. Tomorrow I will be going to their office to pick up a bag ($47 for 25lb, supposed to cover the equivalent of a 50lb bag of regular mortar) and will use that for the whole tile job (only two walls of 5'Hx5'W each so should be plenty based on their spec sheet).

The question to you guys is - am I screwed by having already set the mesh tape with the Mapei Type 1? It is completely dry and it is such a light skim coat I am hoping that the thinset will stop any re-emulsifying possibility and I dont have to scrape it all off and risk damaging the DensShield.

Happy New Year to everybody, sorry for the long post.

Last edited by profcolli; 01-06-2014 at 05:53 PM.
profcolli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:16 PM   #2

No water proofing before tiling?

Old 01-06-2014, 06:52 PM   #3

No, as the main use for this is as a soaker tub only in the basement bathroom when my wife wants to "relax" with candles and wine - I put in a shower kit for occasional use (when I remodel my upstairs bath it will be used for showers during that time) and for resale value.

I contemplated using Redgard or Mapei AquaDefense but not sure if it is necessary - I might change my mind and buy a tub of the Flextile WP-980 liquid waterproofing membrane when I pick up the mortar tomorrow at the distributor - in for a penny, in for a pound, as they say.
http://www.flextile.net/products/CIS/p-cisSP-980.html

I assume if I used that it would solve the problem of having the mastic embedding the mesh tape as it would completely cover it? Or just put Mapei AquaDefense, perhaps with reinforcing fabric at the corners/seams? The Flextile product requires fabric for the whole surface, which seems like overkill as buildGP specs say a liquid waterproofing membrane is acceptable over DensShield, with no mention of fabric.

The 1st pic is what it looks like at the moment (the white strips are ledger boards for the first row of tiles - under the step ladder is a back pressure valve access, the toilet was moved to the right in what was an adjoining closet - 2nd pic - new sink and cupboard are behind the added pocket door - 3rd pic): DensShield on walls in tub surround area and ceilings, DensArmor Plus on the other walls except for the pocket door frame which is MoldDefense Greenboard, all new BluWood Framing, Celfortec Pink xpf Rigid Foam insulation against cinder block wall at back, Roxul Safe n'Sound in ceilings and walls (all interior walls in centre of basement) with resilient channels for sound separation - 4th pic.

And what I started with after a flood and a complete ripout of the old cast iron plumbing in the floor (last pic):
Attached Thumbnails
Mastic used for setting mesh tape in tub surround - help!-img_0804.jpg   Mastic used for setting mesh tape in tub surround - help!-img_0546.jpg   Mastic used for setting mesh tape in tub surround - help!-img_0751.jpg   Mastic used for setting mesh tape in tub surround - help!-img_0698.jpg   Mastic used for setting mesh tape in tub surround - help!-img_0131.jpg  

Last edited by profcolli; 01-07-2014 at 05:19 PM. Reason: added pics
Old 01-07-2014, 05:17 PM   #4

JoeCaption got my guilty conscience going - thanks Joe

AquaDefense is going up today (the Flextile WP-980 requires a full fabric and costs over $150 = 70% more).

Second coat for joints/corners etc. drying - full coats going on after supper.
This on top should solve the mastic embedded tape problem
Bottom row will be done after tile ledger boards removed so the nail holes can be sealed.
Attached Thumbnails
Mastic used for setting mesh tape in tub surround - help!-img_0807.jpg  

Last edited by profcolli; 01-07-2014 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:06 PM   #5
DIY staff

Looks like a soaker tub without a shower----If so-you are in good shape--
Old 01-07-2014, 10:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Looks like a soaker tub without a shower----If so-you are in good shape--
Actually, there is a shower, but it will be mainly used as a soaker tub.
Fourth coat finished, leaving overnight to cure before tiling.
Attached Thumbnails
Mastic used for setting mesh tape in tub surround - help!-img_0819.jpg  
Old 01-08-2014, 05:47 AM   #7
DIY staff

How are you going to keep water off of the deck? Is that soaker tub a deck mount?
Old 01-08-2014, 01:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
How are you going to keep water off of the deck? Is that soaker tub a deck mount?
Yes, no flange on tub. Will be almost flush with the walls left/rear with silicon caulking under bottom row of tiles 1/8" and under tub - the deck is BluWood with DensShield and tiles on top.