Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-23-2009, 07:45 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Major Bathroom Renovation, planning advise

I have a large 3 bedroom house with a very small bathroom! it is currently 2100x1850 and contains a shower a bath and a small basin and a door that opens in. Their is not enough room to swing a cat or even a mouse!

I am considering extending the bathroom, I can add 800 to side making the bathroom 2900x1850 at the cost of hallway and storage space (and lots of $$). Hoping to allow enough room for a toilet and some more room to move.

The area that would be added to the bathroom contains the man hole into the roof, and the wall is a load baring wall (from my limited understanding). The bathroom is on a concrete slab but the target extension area is wood floor boards and the house is raised about 600mm off the ground by brick pylons.

The questions, round 1.

1. Do all bathrooms have to be on a slab?

2. Could the concrete go on top of the existing floorboards?

3. What would be the process a builder would use for such a task? (moving the wall and extending the slab)

4. Anyone think that this is worth the expense? I expect it will cost a lot! and it is an old house.

5. Any other comments? Just trying to get my head around the whole process. I will be looking into the regulations etc. that side I can handle, I am after info about the process and what the trades would be doing on such a job (the stuff you cant really find on a website).

Thanks!
Luke
NSW Australia

LukeAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 07:13 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Major Bathroom Renovation, planning advise

I can only speak about US building practices.
1. no
2. maybe, depends on the amount of concrete and the structure.
3. Adding a beam spanning the room is the simplest method to fix a bearing wall. Adding to a slab requires the same type footer as existing slab, and rods in the mating end to keep everyhting from shifting.
4. no clue
5. If you have 3 bathrooms, why change this one?? You need to demo the old room. Trades: tear out, framing(maybe some engineering), finish, concrete, plumbing, electrical, maybe tile/flooring.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote