Lowering Shower Floor - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-14-2010, 11:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Lowering Shower floor

We are planning to lower the shower floor and would like to know of any issues you all think we should address when we cut out the floor.

The attached drawing shows 4X10 joists @ 4' with 2x6 decking, then 1/2" plywood above. We plan to cutout the 32"X5' shower floor, and lower about 2" to allow finished shower to be flush with the bathroom floor. We will use 2X8 floor joists @ 16" with hangers mounted to 4X10 joists (in black on pic). We plan to follow the John Bridge book for tile in the shower. My question: is it ok to cut out the shower floor (there is nothing under teh 2X6 T&G in the shower)?
Attached Images

Advertisement

Last edited by Steve Burke; 02-14-2010 at 11:42 AM.
Steve Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:25 PM   #2
General Contractor

Lowering Shower floor

Steve,

Providing the original framing is sound, I can't see a reason why it wouldn't work. Personally I have never seen a floor assembly like yours. (I have only been at this for 7 years and all in the same town.)

2x8s are probably overkill for a 4' span at 16"oc (http://www.awc.org/calculators/span/calc/).

How are you going to attach the new short "cross" joists to the outside wall/sill?

Advertisement

Rory Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:42 PM   #3

Lowering Shower floor

Rory,
many thanks for the span calculator! We will change to 2X6. Regarding the attachment of these small joists, i plan to use 2x6 simpson hangers with the simpson screws. These will attach to the 4X10 joists below the floor. The sill is a 2X material with a 4X10" rim joist.

BTW, we are in Lake Tahoe and this type of post-and-beam structure is quite common though the floors occassionally feel a bit spongy so i'd like to stiffen mine.Thanks again for the timely feedback.u
Steve Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:21 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Lowering Shower floor

2 x 8's with a 3/4" ply might work out just fine. A difference of 3 1/4" for your preslope and mud deck. I've seen this type of construction many times in the NW. Up here it's called "car decking".