Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-23-2012, 07:04 PM   #1

Share |

Low Ceiling Shower Construction

I am building a bathroom in the basement/Man Cave of my house. The Ceiling is approximately 76 inches. I do have a ceiling fan located near the shower. Above the ceiling is TGI's/manufactured joists 16 Inches on center (no insulation). I installed vapor barrier 6 mill visqueen on the entire ceiling & had about half of the mold tough green board up before I read that green board should not be used directly above showers, that you should not place vapor barrier behind green board, and that if green board is placed on a ceiling the maximum spacing allowed is 12 inches. I am planing on tiling all the walls in the bathroom with 3/8" marble up to the ceiling. Should I take down the green board, remove the vapor barrier in the non shower areas, leave the vapor barrier in the above shower area, place 5/8 sheetrock in the non-shower areas (without the visqueen vapor barrier), and place hardibacker and tile (with the visqueen vapor barrier behing the hardibacker) in the area above the shower?

Thank You for any help you may be able to provide.

ashelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:59 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Header/block out the area immediately above the showering spot.
Gain those inches while you can.

TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:30 PM   #3

I am not sure what you mean by header out. I did plan on sheetrocking between two of the TGI's to allow room for the shower head (which will be an overhead type).

Last edited by ashelley; 02-23-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:54 PM   #4

Is my proposed plan the best way to go. I do not want to get into structural changes.