Lifting A Wall Oven - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-17-2012, 09:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Lifting a Wall Oven

I am 73 and the wife is 70. We are still pretty much able-bodied. I purchase her a new Frigidaire wall oven with a broiler. It is gas. My problem is I cannot lift it into the wall cabinet which is 22 inches off the floor. I have tried about everything I can think of to over come that 22 inches off the floor.I would not object to renting a small lift for a day If I could just find one.I tried a dolly and phone books but it tipped over on the floor,fortunately no damage done. I am open to all and any suggestions that make sense. I dont have a neighbor or friend close,(they are all gone,if ya get my drift)
Thanks ahead of time.
MIKE

Advertisement

mikethefixitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:13 PM   #2
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,616

Lifting a Wall Oven

Where do you live? If your within 50 miles of LAX, I'll come over and help you.

Post your location....maybe we can get some members to help.

Advertisement

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:02 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,690

Lifting a Wall Oven

yeah, post a location.

phone books are not stable . try using blocks of wood.
Fix'n it is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:22 PM   #4

Lifting a Wall Oven

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikethefixitman View Post
I am 73 and the wife is 70. We are still pretty much able-bodied. I purchase her a new Frigidaire wall oven with a broiler. It is gas. My problem is I cannot lift it into the wall cabinet which is 22 inches off the floor. I have tried about everything I can think of to over come that 22 inches off the floor.I would not object to renting a small lift for a day If I could just find one.I tried a dolly and phone books but it tipped over on the floor,fortunately no damage done. I am open to all and any suggestions that make sense. I dont have a neighbor or friend close,(they are all gone,if ya get my drift)
Thanks ahead of time.
MIKE
Get a hydraulic table lift from Harbor Freight for ~$150. Use it to lift the unit and then just slide the oven into place. Sell the lift when you're done to recoup most of the expense.
Greg_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:35 PM   #5
JOATMON

Lifting a Wall Oven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_R View Post
Get a hydraulic table lift from Harbor Freight for ~$150. Use it to lift the unit and then just slide the oven into place. Sell the lift when you're done to recoup most of the expense.
Greg...that lift table will weight as much if not more than the oven....

If the OP can't afford to pay to have the oven installed....I suspect that he can't afford a lift table......

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
Old 11-19-2012, 05:51 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 332

Lifting a Wall Oven

I think you should post your need for help on your local Craigslist. Believe me, there are plenty of guys like me out there that love to pitch in for free. I'm 53 and don't have the endurance I used to, but I sure love pitching in to help people if I get the chance.

Craigslist has a lot of bad listings, so be sure to put your neighborhood name or other local specifics in your ad so people know you are real.

Post to the "volunteers" section - and if you'd like help posting it contact me at imautoparts@yahoo.com and I'll be happy to write the ad and post it using my account. I just installed a double oven myself, so I know what you are facing.

Last edited by imautoparts; 11-19-2012 at 05:57 PM.
imautoparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:53 PM   #7
JOATMON

Lifting a Wall Oven

Well....Mike has not been back since his 1st post.....another 1 post wonder.....

Old 11-19-2012, 07:37 PM   #8

Lifting a Wall Oven

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Greg...that lift table will weight as much if not more than the oven....

If the OP can't afford to pay to have the oven installed....I suspect that he can't afford a lift table......
He has a dolly and already said he doesn't mind renting some equipment. The lift is (IMO) the easiest way to go. Total out of pocket expenses will be in the $25-$30 range (assuming he uses a coupon).
Greg_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:36 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 650

Lifting a Wall Oven

Get those straps you see on tv, they work well. Although I am not suggesting two folks your age should do it. But two folks can lift a lot with those long straps, we did a ge combo micro and oven. From floor to cabinet no problem!
Old 12-01-2012, 06:38 PM   #10
JOATMON

Lifting a Wall Oven

hey....digital....if they haven't done it by now....I suspect they had 'cold turkey' for Thanksgiving....

Old 12-01-2012, 06:40 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 650

Lifting a Wall Oven

I did raise the dead didn't I? But the straps really do work!
Old 12-01-2012, 06:44 PM   #12
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,222

Lifting a Wall Oven

NEWS FLASH---Mature couple trapped under oven for 10 days---rescue crew used a platform lift and movers straps to save the couple---an off duty Deputy alerted the local police----
Old 12-01-2012, 08:33 PM   #13
JOATMON

Lifting a Wall Oven

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
NEWS FLASH---Mature couple trapped under oven for 10 days---rescue crew used a platform lift and movers straps to save the couple---an off duty Deputy alerted the local police----

Now.....that is funny...

Advertisement