Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-18-2005, 03:55 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

Leaking stained glass window

I have a stained glass window that is leaking. Does anyone know of a clear waterproof product that could be painted on, to seal it?

mowest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 11:13 AM   #2

What kind of window is it? Do you know if it is lead came or foil construction? Is it an outside window? Is it double or triple glazed or just the stained glass? If it is lead came, is the putty flaking out from under the lead? If so, replaceing the putty should take care of the problem. The best way to do this is to take the window out and lay it flat on a work table. Then (assuming the lead is all still good) use a dentist's pick to clean out the loose and flaky putty. Replace with putty made from whiting (calcium carbonate) and linseed oil. Force the putty under the leaves of the lead came with your thumbs and finger tips. Use a sharpened wooden dowel to run around the edges of the came. Roll putty over the window to pick up the loose putty you just cut off with the dowel. Sprinkle a SMALL amout of dry whiting over the window and brush with a natural bristle brush to clean and polish. Turn it over and repeat on the other side. Leave the panel laying flat for a week or so, turning it daily so that both sides dry.

If it is foil construction, it will probably continue to leak. I don't know of a way to fix it.

Rebecca

imported_Rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 07:17 AM   #3

Thanks for that very informative answer. The windows are lead, but not practical to remove them - can the puttying be done in place? I guess it must be feasible, as normal single-glazed windows are done in this way.
mowest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 10:55 AM   #4

They can be done in place if you are careful not to push against the window. It will be messy. If someone asked me to reputty a leaded panel in place, I would probably tell them "no." But it is possible if you are careful. Single glazed windows are a bit different because you are not trying to force the putty UNDER the frame. For leaded windows, you really want to try to push the putty under the leaves of the lead.

Rebecca

Quote:
Originally posted by mowest
Thanks for that very informative answer. The windows are lead, but not practical to remove them - can the puttying be done in place? I guess it must be feasible, as normal single-glazed windows are done in this way.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:39 PM   #5

Reading this made me think, would mowest be able to use a sheet of cardboard over a cut to size peace of plywood and fasten or support it on the opposing side of the window to help support it wile working with the putty?
Old 05-04-2005, 04:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally posted by MgMopar
Reading this made me think, would mowest be able to use a sheet of cardboard over a cut to size peace of plywood and fasten or support it on the opposing side of the window to help support it wile working with the putty?
That would be the best way to do it. A piece of plywood on the opposite side of the window from where he was working would support it and keep it from bowing. Once it starts to bow, it is hard to remedy in place.