DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Kitchen & Bath Remodeling (
-   -   Leaking Second Floor Bathroom (

pwjax 12-26-2008 08:36 AM

Leaking Second Floor Bathroom
I am redoing my second floor bathroom because it leaks very badly into the hallway on the first floor. I have removed almost everything from the bathroom and am now ready to get the tub out of the way. I have removed the drain screw from the bottom of the tub, but it looks like the overflow on the tub is still connected even though I have unscrewed the metal piece from it. How does that get disconnected?

It does not look like I have access to the side of the tub where the drain and the faucets are. There is currently a light drip coming from the faucet. That is not a big deal by itself because I am going to replace it. However it appears that the drain is leaking down to the first floor. Is the only way to repair this going to be to cut out the ceiling in the first floor to give me access to the plumbing?

I was going to replace the tub but am wondering if I should just have it refinished instead. It is very solid (I believe it is a cast iron tub) and I am not looking forward to getting it down the stairs of the house. Any suggestions would be reatly appreciated.

angus242 12-26-2008 11:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)

You will be able to remove the tub without tearing into any walls or ceilings. The overflow ties into the drain at some point. This is a typical setup (see below).
Once you remove the 2 screws holding the overflow in place and then the drain basket, the drain is now separate from the tub. If you are removing a cast iron tub, the only real way you're going to get it out is with a sledge hammer and bust it into pieces (wear safety glasses and gloves!!!).

I cannot help you with the drain repair question. That's why I use a plumber! I'd assume if you are replacing the tub, this is a non issue. However, if the tub is staying, I'd expect a hole (or 2) will be needed somewhere to access the overflow/drain for repairs. Don't be afraid of that. Plumbers fix pipes behind walls all the time. Drywall can be repaired!

pwjax 12-28-2008 08:23 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. I have removed the tub completely. It was cast iron and after moving it out of the way I have broken it up and removed it from the house.

I wanted to install a replacement tub without replacing the drainage piping. I went to home depot to look for a gasket for the overflow but could not find one. I bought a replacement kit that included the overflow cover and the drainage cage but I do not see an overflow gasket. Do they sell those seperately? Is there some material that i can use to make one?

wrangler 12-29-2008 06:44 AM

If you bought an overflow kit from HD (includes the overflow tube, tub shoe and other connections as seen in the drawing above) it should have included gaskets for both the overflow tube and the tub shoe. If not, it may have been removed by a previous buyer. Take it back and get an unopened one.

angus242 12-29-2008 11:25 AM

I agree, should have been a part of the kit you bought. A typical kit should contain these items:
Although, the style of stopper can be different (twist, push, cable, etc)

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:21 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1