Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-27-2010, 07:12 PM   #1

Share |

Kitchen tile aesthetic question

My back splash is "L" shaped. The vast majority of it is 12 3/4". It jumps up to 17" behind the range. I am using 4" ceramic that I am going to tilt on a diaganal and make a diamond pattern. The electrician in me screams to center the tile vertically, which will create an awkward pattern on the bottom, which I can see as well as the top which I have to squat to see. If I dropped the tiles down just a bit I can have a half then a whole tile on the bottom and whatever happens up top just happens. Is that the correct way to do it???

Also do I start tileing from the corner??? so I have half and whole cuts there and work out in both directions?

Thanks in advance guys and gals

Andy
Andy-n-ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:28 PM   #2

Your best bet is to draw it all out on paper first, as you don't want to leave gaps in the top or bottom-- it should all look symmetrical and like it was planned to fit the space. Are you using any decorative tile around the edges-- that might be a way to cover some of the smaller gaps.

Another thought, however, is to make the taller area by the stove a different pattern or coordinating tile to make it a focal point.
Allison1888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:07 PM   #3
Military Mom of 4

Most tiled or brick backsplashes I've seen above ranges have a square or rectangle that's formed and then filled.

http://img.diynetwork.com/DIY/2007/1...ksplash_lg.jpg

You don't have to buy expensive accents to make something like that look good. You can use a different size of the same tile - maybea different color - but I think just altering the direction of the tiles would be nice.