Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-11-2011, 01:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Kitchen remodel ideas/design needed, with PICs

From family room facing kitchen:

From nook facing kitchen:

Step forward from above:

It's time to redo the kitchen, I've put it off for too long. Reface is not an option as there are a few issues with the current layout, primarily being the fridge cutout is way too small!

Couple questions that I had:
1. Wet bar, keep it or lose it?
2. The island is my biggest issue, it's tight between it and the sink and the pass way with the wall is narrow. Any other shape or position of the island that you would think makes sense?
3. Any other recommendations for the space? Modernization and functionality are my main focus.

Thanks!

amdspitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:56 PM   #2
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

First, have you realistically considered your budget?
Don't waste time figuring new layouts, moving major appliances etc., if your budget is going to limit you.

Wet bar? If you don't use it, lose it.

The island: It does look too close. If moving the cook top somewhere else is a possibility, you might consider something mobile. Of course, that would affect the flooring.

Your pics are great, but a drawing of the floor plan with measurements may be more helpful for planning purposes.

Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondesense View Post
First, have you realistically considered your budget?
Don't waste time figuring new layouts, moving major appliances etc., if your budget is going to limit you.

Wet bar? If you don't use it, lose it.

The island: It does look too close. If moving the cook top somewhere else is a possibility, you might consider something mobile. Of course, that would affect the flooring.

Your pics are great, but a drawing of the floor plan with measurements may be more helpful for planning purposes.
I am aware of the budget needed and the majority of work will be done by myself. I have done this kind of work over and over again everywhere but my own house.

I like the island a lot, it's both helpful when working in the kitchen, provides a lot of open countertop room and a focal point to hang out with guests.

My newest issue is the fact that I will have to redo the floors and I probably couldn't get them matched.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:31 PM   #4
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdspitfire View Post
I am aware of the budget needed and the majority of work will be done by myself. I have done this kind of work over and over again everywhere but my own house...

Actually, my purpose in mentioning your budget is twofold. The obvious one of verifying if your expectations are realistic, but also for others in this forum. You will be more likely to get helpful suggestions if you give others here more of an idea of the scope you have in mind, if you are willing to do a full gut, or if you have limitations.

Your kitchen looks huge, but I'm picturing DH and myself using it. I think 90% of our (my) time would be in the "work triangle" between the sink, cook top, and refrigerator. I think you are right in wanting a bit more space there.

I can pretty much guarantee if we lived there, the two peninsulas (where the keys are sitting and the area with the wet bar) would rarely be used except to dump groceries and as horizontal surfaces to collect junk and mail. Do you use them?

Is the other door (third picture, right side) interior or exterior?
It looks like you have tons of storage. If either door is a well used exterior door, I might be tempted to sacrifice a bit of that storage for a bench seat - a place to sit, take off, and store wet shoes etc.

Last edited by Blondesense; 04-11-2011 at 08:34 PM.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondesense View Post
Actually, my purpose in mentioning your budget is twofold. The obvious one of verifying if your expectations are realistic, but also for others in this forum. You will be more likely to get helpful suggestions if you give others here more of an idea of the scope you have in mind, if you are willing to do a full gut, or if you have limitations.

Your kitchen looks huge, but I'm picturing DH and myself using it. I think 90% of our (my) time would be in the "work triangle" between the sink, cook top, and refrigerator. I think you are right in wanting a bit more space there.

I can pretty much guarantee if we lived there, the two peninsulas (where the keys are sitting and the area with the wet bar) would rarely be used except to dump groceries and as horizontal surfaces to collect junk and mail. Do you use them?

Is the other door (third picture, right side) interior or exterior?
It looks like you have tons of storage. If either door is a well used exterior door, I might be tempted to sacrifice a bit of that storage for a bench seat - a place to sit, take off, and store wet shoes etc.
You are spot on with the "work triangle" and with 2-3 people up in the mix it gets tight. The kitchen is big but its not well layed out.

The two peninsulas are just like you mentioned. One side is used for mail/ random papers and the bar area is just to place random non perishable food items. They are not really used but the cabinets underneath them are open from both sides so they are big and lot of things get stored in them.

3rd pic right side is the door to the garage. The other door goes to the side of the house. Can't really do much about the door placement.

I want to do a full gut as I don't care about the cabinets but my issue is the hardwood floors now, it's good 3'' and 4'' mix gunstock oak flooring. I'd hate to rip them out and pay $5/sq ft for something else thats good. It also goes all the way into the nook/entrance of the house.