Kitchen Remodel- Crown Molding - Awkward Transition - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-01-2015, 08:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Kitchen Remodel- crown molding - Awkward transition

Could not be more disappointed with the option proposed by our cabinet installer. Looking for ideas.
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen Remodel- crown molding - Awkward transition-image.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by crandacr; 07-01-2015 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Add picture
crandacr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 01:40 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,338

I agree.That looks horrible.I would at least change out all of the crown to match the cabinets.If it were me I would change all of the interior kitchen trim to match the cabinets and maybe go with lighter cabinets so it does not make the kitchen look to dark.

Advertisement

mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:26 AM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 3,538

There should be a transition finial the color of the cabinets then the crown goes into the finial. Do a search and you will find the finial. https://www.google.com/search?q=cabi...5rYvsTdoEpM%3A

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 05:00 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 822

I'd love to see a close up of the transition.

What I can see, looks terrible, and I'm not sure a finial is the best answer, but it may be the only out. Only other option might be to use white crown, but that might look a bit stark...

If the same size crown that matches the cabinet were available, or some could be stained to match, even that transition would probably not look very good...

Last edited by ktkelly; 07-02-2015 at 05:04 PM.
ktkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 07:23 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,052

Yes, looks pretty bad.

But your guy is a cabinet installer, not a magician. You have paint grade crown over most of the kitchen, and natural wood over the cabinets. I expect he did not have any of the white crown, so that was the best he could do. Otherwise I would say running the white into the side of the cabinet on the left, and a very short miter into the cabinet on the right.

I would say your options are to do all crown in wood, or all crown in white. Below is quick photoshop with all in white ( assuming you can find more of the white crown.
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen Remodel- crown molding - Awkward transition-cabinets-2.jpg  
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote