Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-16-2011, 03:46 PM   #1

Share |

Kitchen layout ideas (Long,narrow and windows)

Heres my kitchen that we are kinda stuck with. it would be a full gut with an "ikea" budget in mind.

Size is 19x8.5, blue pole/vent (guessing) starts at 10ft

the center of the door areas is a load bearing wall

Second door leads to dining room

6mtsedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:56 PM   #2

Your right you are kind of limited. What are you looking to change about it? The cabinets that are there look to be as good if not better that IKEA cabinets. Maybe all they need ids new hardware or maybe even different paint.

Your work area is about as efficient as it can be now. There are compact dishwasher options that would fit under the sink. May be a small table by the stove and possibly some sort of table or countertop space on that wall in place of the tall pantry. Maybe there is room for the pantry in the dining area. Oh, and the countertops can be replaced if you don't like them, but I would try to save the cabinets unless they are in worse shape than they look.

Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:37 AM   #3

Jim, thanks for responding!

The issue we have right now is not enough counterspace and storage. The corner cabinets are not lazy susans so you loose alot of space that way. Also the doors do not shut all the way and are wobbly when coming out.
6mtsedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:51 AM   #4

Only thing I can see is: install an undercabinet micro over the range, which opens the spot next to the pantry cabinet for a small cabinet w/ctop, and maybe another small wall cabinet.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:21 PM   #5

Push the oven where the microwave is now then mount the micro above the range. Then you can add 30' of cabinets and countertop where the oven used to be. Provided you have the width for the oven in that space.
HairClog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:27 PM   #6
Love for Construction

I would try and work with what is there, that kitchen is pretty nice and in good condition, compared to some I've seen.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:26 AM   #7
Stuck in the 70's

It looks like you have a small eat in area and a small dining room right next to each other. Do you need and use both? Would you be willing to re-purpose the eat in area for some other use? Maybe you could add a peninsula on the other side of the range/oven, then use the remaining area as a small office type space, or ????. If it is at ground level it might be nice to replace the window with a door and have a little mud room with a bench seat/storage, coat hooks, etc.

Or if you really want both tables, maybe replacing the one in the kitchen with a corner breakfast nook might give you enough room for other options.
Something like this:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nook-Corne...-White/5969539

Edited to add: I'm not plugging Wal-mart, just put it out there as an example.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 03:15 AM   #8

I think Blondesense has a point that you have a small dining, and do you have another table...what the other table usage??can u use that space for some purpose.
desiree_furman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 03:19 AM   #9

I think Blondesense has a point do you have a small dining and another table, what is the usage of that table??
desiree_furman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:30 AM   #10

First off, IKEA kitchens are not so bad as everyone says if you plan and install correctly. Yes they are particle board and yes they are frameless but if you don't have moisture problems and you install them well they are as solid and durable as anything else. And depending on the style you want, they can be just as good looking. The hardware is first-rate and they have a variety of innovative solutions. We did our old kitchen with IKEA and it held up fine other than a few slightly warped doors that were replaced under warranty. We will be doing our new one, in our new house, in IKEA as well. The savings will go into granite counter tops and the appliances.

As far as idea for your kitchen, I agree that a microwave over the stove would get you some space, as well as a carousel in the current dead space in the corner. Also, if you turn all those base cabinets into drawers you will suddenly feel like you have 3x as much space...trust me. One other idea is to put shallow cabinets (12") on the far wall of your breakfast area. Not sure if you can afford to give up a foot, but it would give you a massive amount of additional storage.

If you are contemplating IKEA, go to IKEA.com and check out their online kitchen planning tool. Also check out the site Ikeafans.com for discussions of various design ideas for kitchens using IKEA cabinets.

Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote