Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-08-2008, 07:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Kitchen island help

Hi. I am new to this forum and also fairly new at home repair and construction. My wife and I would like to have a kitchen island but I am not sure we have the appropriate space for one. So my questions pertain to size.

My kitchen is 11' deep and 11' wide. But I have cabinets on either side of the kitchen. So it leaves us just shy of 7' of open area in the middle. I have read different things on different sites. I have read to have at least 42" of space around the kitchen, which would mean no island for me. But I have also read to make sure that you have enough room to open cabinets, dishwasher, oven, etc...

So would anyone recommend against me putting in a kitchen island? Or is it do-able? And if it is do-able, what would be some workable dimensions for the island?

I appreciate any responses. Thank you.

Bob Sacamano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:32 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Kitchen island help

I've seen as little as 30" between cabinets in small kitchens, which would give you your 24" standard depth, but it would be tight. Lay it out on the floor with some tape and see if you can live with it. Maybe consider an island on wheels?

Jeeper1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:42 PM   #3

Kitchen island help

Thank you jeeper. I will definitely take your advice. I was hoping for something without wheels that we could maybe sit some stools beside. But I believe that my kitchen is just too small. Maybe some stools at the ends. But will see after doing what you suggested. Thanks again.
Bob Sacamano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 06:38 PM   #4
pureonyx-granite master

Kitchen island help

I would not recommend putting an island in your kitchen.
I think that the spare space you have is just valuable by itself.
pureonyx is offline   Reply With Quote