DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Kitchen island help

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  pureonyx 
#1 ·
Hi. I am new to this forum and also fairly new at home repair and construction. My wife and I would like to have a kitchen island but I am not sure we have the appropriate space for one. So my questions pertain to size.

My kitchen is 11' deep and 11' wide. But I have cabinets on either side of the kitchen. So it leaves us just shy of 7' of open area in the middle. I have read different things on different sites. I have read to have at least 42" of space around the kitchen, which would mean no island for me. But I have also read to make sure that you have enough room to open cabinets, dishwasher, oven, etc...

So would anyone recommend against me putting in a kitchen island? Or is it do-able? And if it is do-able, what would be some workable dimensions for the island?

I appreciate any responses. Thank you.:)

#3 ·
Thank you jeeper. I will definitely take your advice. I was hoping for something without wheels that we could maybe sit some stools beside. But I believe that my kitchen is just too small. Maybe some stools at the ends. But will see after doing what you suggested. Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.